No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.13 Is Making Great Improvements On Its Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried KDE wayland a month ago or so and quickly hopped back to X session due to huge cursors and opening the launcher caused the system to slow down to a crawl. Never bothered to look into any of it, but I believe they were known issues. Hopefully Plasma 5.13 will be usable for daily use.

Comment

Plasma on Wayland just isn't ready yet, I think it was far too premature for Martin to discontinue feature work on X11

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
        Tried KDE wayland a month ago or so and quickly hopped back to X session due to huge cursors and opening the launcher caused the system to slow down to a crawl. Never bothered to look into any of it, but I believe they were known issues. Hopefully Plasma 5.13 will be usable for daily use.
        Have you ever tried changing cursor size in systemsettings?

Comment

KDe is very very underdeveloped about its compliance with wayland. QT5 doesn't need of any xwayland because of QTWayland. I assume Kde developers should rebuild PLASMa since the beginning to get it ready.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Plasma on Wayland just isn't ready yet, I think it was far too premature for Martin to discontinue feature work on X11
            This myth was being discussed everywhere. What Martin said he won't add features to X11 unless the feature also works on Wayland. He did it for two reasons:
            - to have more time to close the feature-gap between X11 and Wayland
            - to not _enlarge_ this gap intentionally

If you think about it, it makes 100% sense.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post

Have you ever tried changing cursor size in systemsettings?
              Going by the bug reports I found, that did appear to be a workaround. I never bothered to try working around any of the issues since I figured Plasma on Wayland wasn't stable enough for my use and just went back to Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                You need to tell more than "Tried KDE wayland a month ago or so", a version atleast. Plasma 5.12 solved the big cursor for me on multiple different machines with different GPUs and iGPUs from AMD and Intel. And i've never experienced any slowdowns, in fact animations become faster, are you running Nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
                  You need to tell more than "Tried KDE wayland a month ago or so", a version atleast. Plasma 5.12 solved the big cursor for me on multiple different machines with different GPUs and iGPUs from AMD and Intel. And i've never experienced any slowdowns, in fact animations become faster, are you running Nvidia?
                  By that I meant whatever the latest was at the time/current release which was 5.12/17.12 w/ Qt 5.10, which should be implied but I can understand. I use an RX480 with Mesa drivers on a single 1920x1080 display. Here's what appears to be the relevant bug report if you're interested: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=385920

I wasn't seeking help; I was simply stating my experience.
                  Last edited by Ouroboros; 22 April 2018, 11:06 AM. Reason: more details for the curious

Comment

what about xwayland games grabbing and locking the cursor on games and making it an unpleasant experience? Why is that not fixed? is such an obvious bug and it affects games in a very evident way.

Edit: He talks about it at the end of the article, cool. Still, I wish that were fixed for the next version so kwin wayland were usable.
                    Last edited by edoantonioco; 22 April 2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I wish I could try Plasma on Wayland to share my experience, but Solus hasn't enabled the Wayland session for KDE or provides a package for it (unlike GNOME Shell)

Comment

Working...
                      X