KDE Plasma 5.13 Is Making Great Improvements On Its Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.13 Is Making Great Improvements On Its Wayland Support

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.13 Is Making Great Improvements On Its Wayland Support

KDE Plasma 5.13 that is due for release in June will have a great number of improvements to its Wayland support for allowing the KDE Plasma desktop to work much better on this alternative to the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about QT5 wayland?

Comment

Compositing is still dead-slow even on wayland (5.12). Hope that gets fixed eventually. Windows manages to do it fast somehow.

Comment

Had to stop using KDE because of how unfriendly kwin is to nvidia cards, had games unable to detect screen resolution, mouse not obeying designated screen in games, the list kept going on. It wasn't just related to multi-monitor configurations, I even had some games unable to detect 4k with just 1 screen enabled. Tragic!

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
          Compositing is still dead-slow even on wayland (5.12). Hope that gets fixed eventually. Windows manages to do it fast somehow.
          Windows isn't using Wayland though.

Comment

Is there a solution in sight for Kwin and Nvidia drivers?

Comment

I don't see a solution happening unless someone writes an entirely new WM for KDE. Kwin is a lost cause IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
                The new API that is supposed to replace GBM, there were talks about that and it is being developed. Timescale is unknown though, probably years.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
                  What hardware are you using and with what drivers? My Haswell-based laptop runs KDE+Wayland very smoothly.
                  I've heard how setting the rendering backend to OpenGL 2.0 (instead of 3.1) can help improve performance.

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
                  Nouveau ought to work.

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  I don't see a solution happening unless someone writes an entirely new WM for KDE. Kwin is a lost cause IMO.
                  Or... Nvidia could just have proper Wayland support, which they don't. Other Wayland-based compositors comply with Nvidia's workarounds, but Nvidia is deliberately negligent of proper support, and the KDE devs don't want to encourage Nvidia's laziness or stubbornness. This may be KDE's problem, but Nvidia is the one who should be fixing this. It's a shame GNOME decided to take the path of least resistance.

Comment

Still no Pager

Comment

Working...
                    X