No announcement yet.

FFmpeg 4.0 Released With New Encoders/Decoders, NVIDIA NVDEC Decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to damper the mood but what do you guys think you gain out of this? There's a lot of hype for something I'd imagine most of you would see no practical difference with.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
      Not to damper the mood but what do you guys think you gain out of this? There's a lot of hype for something I'd imagine most of you would see no practical difference with.
      I often run 1 or 2 VMs in the background for work, while also using mpv. Shaving 30% of CPU off mpv is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
        I often run 1 or 2 VMs in the background for work, while also using mpv. Shaving 30% of CPU off mpv is nice.
        Fair but niche use case.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
          Complex video streams like VP9/HEVC/AV1 >8 bit + HFR@4k require tons of CPU performance when doing software decoding, so hw decoding gains significance.
          Furthermore, you can enjoy video playback without stutter when there is heavy CPU load in the background and it helps to save battery power on mobile systems (at least it's possible).

ffmpeg 4.0 has glorious new features and optimizations, definitely one of the coolest FOSS projects.

Comment

Also, HW decoding is waaaaay more energy efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Just run mpv from the terminal. The output makes it pretty obvious if HW decoding is used or not. For AMD just use 'hwdec' or 'hwdec=auto' to have mpv automatically pick the best method. It will probably be 'hwdec=vdpau' unless you are on Wayland, in which case only 'hwdec=vaapi-copy' works. Also, mpv on Wayland needs 'opengl-backend=wayland'.

Here's how my config looks for my AMD system:
              hwdec=vaapi-copy
              profile=opengl-hq
              #opengl-backend=wayland

Last option commented out because I'm currently not using Wayland.
              There is still no way to get window title and border for mpv window besides using x11 video output?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                There is still no way to get window title and border for mpv window besides using x11 video output?
                Don't think so. In Wayland they are implemented client side so it's up to mpv developers to add that stuff, but it's probably not trivial since mpv doesn't rely on any toolkits like GTK+ or Qt. If such things are important to you then you might be better off using GNOME MPV which implements a GTK+ front end for mpv.

Personally, I kind of like having no window decorations for mpv. Save's some unnecessarily wasted space and looks really clean.

Comment

LibreSSL support
                  That project lasted more than a month?

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

That project lasted more than a month?
                    It's had some releases for a couple years, including this one.

Comment

In my case works with nvenc 8.1 + cuda 9.1

However needs use this git
                      For prevent this
                      ERROR: cuda requested, but not all dependencies are satisfied: ffnvcodec
                      In this page appears more information

Comment

Working...
                      X