Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFmpeg 4.0 Released With New Encoders/Decoders, NVIDIA NVDEC Decoding

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FFmpeg 4.0 Released With New Encoders/Decoders, NVIDIA NVDEC Decoding

    Phoronix: FFmpeg 4.0 Released With New Encoders/Decoders, NVIDIA NVDEC Decoding

    FFmpeg 4.0 is now available as the latest major release for this widely-used open-source multimedia encode/decoder library...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...g-4.0-Released

  • #2
    >>NVIDIA NVDEC GPU-based decoding for H264 / MJPEG / HEVC / MPEG-1/2/4, VC1, VP8, and VP9 formats.
    This is excellent news. Just waiting for mpv to get released

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      >>NVIDIA NVDEC GPU-based decoding for H264 / MJPEG / HEVC / MPEG-1/2/4, VC1, VP8, and VP9 formats.
      This is excellent news. Just waiting for mpv to get released
      I'm using an mpv ppa and nvdec already works, mpv.conf (which is at $home/.config/mpv/) needs:
      vo=gpu
      hwdec=nvdec

      Comment


      • #4
        What's the word on AMD (amdgpu) video decoding?

        Originally posted by cl333r View Post

        I'm using an mpv ppa and nvdec already works, mpv.conf (which is at $home/.config/mpv/) needs:
        vo=gpu
        hwdec=nvdec
        Question: how do you check that HW decoding actually happens?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
          What's the word on AMD (amdgpu) video decoding?


          Question: how do you check that HW decoding actually happens?
          Already exists with OpenMAX, VDPAU and VAAPI. nVidia apparently noticed they were losing the battle so this latest nvdec attempt is designed to assume CUDA to be as badly incompatible with competitor hardware (and nouveau) as possible
          Last edited by nanonyme; 21 April 2018, 03:34 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
            What's the word on AMD (amdgpu) video decoding?


            Question: how do you check that HW decoding actually happens?
            For the nvidia decoding. Its possible to use the nvidia-smi utiliy. It will show something like that "C+G" on the column, indicating both a render and computation job

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
              What's the word on AMD (amdgpu) video decoding?


              Question: how do you check that HW decoding actually happens?
              Just run mpv from the terminal. The output makes it pretty obvious if HW decoding is used or not. For AMD just use 'hwdec' or 'hwdec=auto' to have mpv automatically pick the best method. It will probably be 'hwdec=vdpau' unless you are on Wayland, in which case only 'hwdec=vaapi-copy' works. Also, mpv on Wayland needs 'opengl-backend=wayland'.

              Here's how my config looks for my AMD system:
              hwdec=vaapi-copy
              profile=opengl-hq
              #opengl-backend=wayland

              Last option commented out because I'm currently not using Wayland.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
                What's the word on AMD (amdgpu) video decoding?


                Question: how do you check that HW decoding actually happens?
                Look at your CPU usage with it off and on, if one is high and one is low, then you know it is working.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
                  What's the word on AMD (amdgpu) video decoding?


                  Question: how do you check that HW decoding actually happens?
                  Play a hi-res movie with mpv with nvdec disabled and enabled and see at the difference of mpv's CPU usage in each case using "top" from the terminal. In my case the CPU drops from like 60% to like 6%.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                    Just run mpv from the terminal. The output makes it pretty obvious if HW decoding is used or not.
                    Thanks.
                    Code:
                    [vd] Using hardware decoding (vdpau).
                    Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                    Here's how my config looks for my AMD system:
                    hwdec=vaapi-copy
                    profile=opengl-hq
                    #opengl-backend=wayland
                    Last option commented out because I'm currently not using Wayland.
                    You can also do "opengl-backend=wayland, auto" - that's what I have. It tries to use wayland, fails and then looks for best available option.
                    Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    Look at your CPU usage with it off and on, if one is high and one is low, then you know it is working.
                    Cool, mpv uses 40-50% CPU with SW decoding for a 1080p and only 14-15% with HW decoding.
                    Last edited by Aleksei; 21 April 2018, 04:47 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X