X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RelaxTrolls
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    By the way Cinepaint, a famous fork of Gimp, was the first to support HDR and deep colors...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinePaint
    ha! I haven't thought about cinepaint in years...

I contributed a patch to fix a build issue, years and years ago... cinepaint was pretty handy with it's onion-skinning feature, HDR support, etc... it definitely had it's quirks and bugs, but if you worked around them, it was pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    It does not look like the GIMP team knows what RC means. Generally you don't add features after beta.
    Tell that to the .NET Core team. They replaced the entire CLI toolchain between RC1 and RC2.

Leave a comment:

• BillT
    replied
    Originally posted by miabrahams View Post

, nor can it work with any of the important high bit depth images that are .....
    Hmm. The 2.10 dev version I am running has option of 8, 16, 32 bit integer or 16, 32 bit floating point colour depth. I guess you have never even looked at 2.9/2.10

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
    For your better dreams, let me say that GIMP 2.10 is going to bring 32 Bit color depth, HDR support and non-sRGB color spaces. That were some of the first features of GIMP 2.9...

https://ninedegreesbelow.com/photogr...epth-gimp.html

By the way Cinepaint, a famous fork of Gimp, was the first to support HDR and deep colors...

Last edited by Danielsan; 19 April 2018, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• miabrahams
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    sRGB is the world's default color space. Use it and everything looks great everywhere, all the time."
    That quote is so ridiculous that I cannot take anything else said by this source seriously. I don't care if he thinks his prints come out okay when he uses sRGB. The question is not about whether one guy is happy. The question is whether your software, when used properly, allows the user to ensure that what is displayed on monitor is a consistent, accurate representation of what gets printed. What happens if we convert to CMYK? What about Pantone? What about the difference between paper stocks? It is simply impossible to address these concerns when you are limited to the sRGB color space. If you have ever tried to print something and it comes out looking like garbage, then with Gimp, that's currently the end of the story. It will be unable to help you solve this problem until it comes out with proper color management.

Even if you don't think accurate printing is important, inability to work with non-sRGB color spaces is a massive issue. Gimp can't even load camera RAW images without an external plugin, nor can it work with any of the important high bit depth images that are crucial in CGI, such as 32-bit displacement and HDR panoramas for lighting, or even the output of any typical rendering engine, which is ordinarily 128-bit TIFF or EXR.
    Last edited by miabrahams; 18 April 2018, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Just some random opinions:

"The same old-wives-tale about Adobe RGB having a broader range of colors has been circulating on the internet since the 1990s. It does in theory, but not in practice. Adobe RGB is irrelevant for real photography. sRGB gives better (more consistent) results and the same, or brighter, colors. Using Adobe RGB is one of the leading causes of colors not matching between monitor and print. sRGB is the world's default color space. Use it and everything looks great everywhere, all the time."

"Like a lot of people, I started out using sRGB because that is what the camera defaults to using. After a while, however, I learned that Adobe RGB was a larger color space, so I started using that. Doing so led to some occasional problems when I posted pictures to the web though, so I went back to sRGB."
    https://digital-photography-school.c...b-color-space/
    You clearly don't have the slightest idea of what you're talking about. sRGB is the best choice for people who know nothing about color management, but for everybody else you'll loose a part of your gamut for no reason.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    GIMP is a really great and useful piece of software. It is very unfortunate that it doesn't have more developers.

Leave a comment:

• Aeder
    replied
    Originally posted by michal
    "Rewritten Themes"

this is exactly what I was waiting for...

but seriously - I didn't even know that gimp supports themes. I'm using it from time to time to resize or crop images. IMO they should work more on optimizing start time and other things. this program runs as slow as it run 19 years ago when I first used version 1 on red hat 6.0.
    Do you use it on Windows or do you just have a lot of fonts installed for no reason?

I've only experienced the excruciatingly slow load times everyone complains about on Windows.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Maybe you should also tell that to Linus, given the fact that the Linux kernel has nothing but RC's...
    Normally only a final kernel release is RC quality.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    It does not look like the GIMP team knows what RC means.
    Maybe you should also tell that to Linus, given the fact that the Linux kernel has nothing but RC's...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X