GIMP 2.10 RC2 Released With Multi-Threaded Painting, Rewritten Themes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.10 RC2 Released With Multi-Threaded Painting, Rewritten Themes

Phoronix: GIMP 2.10 RC2 Released With Multi-Threaded Painting, Rewritten Themes

In the three weeks since GIMP 2.10 finally reached the release candidate stage a lot of changes have continued to land and today marks the GIMP 2.10 RC2 availability...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this rate, maybe it will finally have HiDPI support sometime around 2024...

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
      At this rate, maybe it will finally have HiDPI support sometime around 2024...
      Considering that GTK 4.0 is currently in development, I wouldn't be surprised if Gimp skipped GTK 3.22 altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Considering that GTK 4.0 is currently in development, I wouldn't be surprised if Gimp skipped GTK 3.22 altogether.
        Considering that the difference between GTK 2.x -> 3.x is BIG and 3.x -> 4.x is smaller, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it went straight to GTK 4.0 after the 2.10 release.

Comment

Originally posted by michal
          I'm using it from time to time to resize or crop images. IMO they should work more on optimizing start time and other things. this program runs as slow as it run 19 years ago when I first used version 1 on red hat 6.0.
          I am afraid that you fail outside the intended audience of GIMP, there are lots of better options to resize and crop images from time to time; GIMP is targeted to people who work intensively on each image, and do not care about a few seconds more of start-up time. I would rather have all textures, brushes, plug-in's, ... loaded during the start-up (slow start + fast use) than each time I want to use them (fast start + slow use).

Comment

It does not look like the GIMP team knows what RC means. Generally you don't add features after beta.

Comment

Originally posted by michal
              IMO they should work more on optimizing start time and other things.
              You are basically wishing a designer would work on performance and write code.

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
              It does not look like the GIMP team knows what RC means. Generally you don't add features after beta.
              No, of course we don't know what a release candidate is. This is our first release ever

Comment

Don't be dumb guys, they're making an extremely good work recently.
                The use of an ancient library such as GTK2 makes Gimp a no go for most people because of the lack of proper HiDPI support and the lack of support for RGB working spaces other than sRGB makes it a no go for anyone serious about color management (but fortunately we have Elle Stone patches in the meantime).
                Yet I see great progress and we're heading towards the right direction, so keep up with the good work!
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  and the lack of support for RGB working spaces other than sRGB makes it a no go for anyone serious about color management (but fortunately we have Elle Stone patches in the meantime).

And the rest of her patches is pretty much unneeded anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

You are basically wishing a designer would work on performance and write code.

No, of course we don't know what a release candidate is. This is our first release ever
                    And I don't know why people say Gimp developers are difficult to work with...

Comment

Working...
                    X