KDE Plasma 5.13 Is Getting Further Polished Ahead Of Its June Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Unity has never been GTK-based. Ubuntu has always shipped GTK and Gnome applications but Unity itself is written using Nux, a niche toolkit nobody else is using, not GTK.
    I was just about to say that Gnome Shell uses a toolkit called St, and I doubt that's awfully popular. These shell/compositor toolkits are more specialized.

However,

Nux is a widget library implemented on top of NuxCore and NuxGraphics. Nux contains a duplicate for almost every major widget in the GTK stack as well as several composition widgets (color picker, graphs, 3d views). The Nux widgets are not yet at the same level of complexity as GTK widgets, lacking advanced text rendering (being fixed) and clear theming support.
    St also has a couple of those.

Comment

Unity is not Gnome, it never has been.
      I did not say that Unity and Gnome shell are the same thing, but Unity is a shell for the GNOME desktop environment.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
        I was just about to say that Gnome Shell uses a toolkit called St, and I doubt that's awfully popular.
        ST is a variant of Clutter, a pretty popular toolkit originally made by Intel for Moblin.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          Unity is a shell for the GNOME desktop environment.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)
          "For Gnome" is a narrative used by Canonical to silence critics from the Gnome community. In reality Unity does not interact much with Gnome components. Ubuntu ships tools like Gnome Keyring and Gnome Power Manager. Canonical could just as well have shipped KWallet etc. and that would not have made Unity a "Shell for Plasma".

Comment

"For Gnome" is a narrative used by Canonical to silence critics from the Gnome community. In reality Unity does not interact much with Gnome components. Ubuntu ships tools like Gnome Keyring and Gnome Power Manager. Canonical could just as well have shipped KWallet etc. and that would not have made Unity a "Shell for Plasma".
            Unity uses all the GNOME infrastructure that was patched to adapt to Unity. Also the main applications are those of Gnome, from Nautilus to the last installed application by default. The same compiz is a window manager for Gnome. It seems to me a sterile controversy.

Comment

"on 19 April"? Should be 19 June I guess.

Comment

Working...
              X