KDE Frameworks 5.45 Released With Remote Access Interface For KWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5.45 Released With Remote Access Interface For KWayland

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5.45 Released With Remote Access Interface For KWayland

The latest monthly feature update to the KDE Frameworks collection of add-on libraries is now available. There's a lot of feature work to be found within today's KDE Frameworks 5.45.0 debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish the news would be "kde is phasing out KIO". That's the big hold back part of all of the kde software

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
      I wish the news would be "kde is phasing out KIO". That's the big hold back part of all of the kde software
      KIO is that thing i have love/hate relationship with. It is absolutely insanely convenient when i can just open file on remote server in Kate. Of course everything falls apart when non-kde software is used or some less maintained protocol is used.

Comment

How long before wayland be ready in PLASMA? KDe is delaying too much the implementation of wayland into its desktop environment.
        Last edited by Azrael5; 14 April 2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

KIO would be infinitly better if it had a working/maintained FUSE mount function, thus allowing any app (QT or not) access.

Comment

I have reached out to the plasma devs regarding KIO. They absence of universal connection points for non-KIO apps is a real pain for any serious business work on KDE Plasma. Heck, LibreOffice on Plasma can't even "save as" to any SMB share. The devs are reviewing my request, if a good reponse comes out, I will share it. Integration with FUSE seems like the best bet in my non-techincial mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              How long before wayland be ready in PLASMA? KDe is delaying too much the implementation of wayland into its desktop environment.
              I use Plasma-Wayland since one year for my daily business and I must say that since Plasma 5.12 it really is stable as declared by the devs. Sure there are corner cases and bugs, but often there is a workaround. What else should the Plasma devs do, in your point of view, besides declaring Wayland support stable?

What I would like to see solved on Plasma-Wayland is a working Firefox nightly Wayland build, then e.g. LibreOffice and Virt-Manager have no window frames, scaling of these apps is bad on 4k... the only workaround for me, and that is not something I really like, is to replace Gtk with Qt or KDE apps. Hope these bugs are addressed soon!
              Last edited by R41N3R; 14 April 2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I use Plasma-Wayland since one year for my daily business and I must say that since Plasma 5.12 it really is stable as declared by the devs. Sure there are corner cases and bugs, but often there is a workaround. What else should the Plasma devs do, in your point of view, besides declaring Wayland support stable?

What I would like to see solved on Plasma-Wayland is a working Firefox nightly Wayland build, then e.g. LibreOffice and Virt-Manager have no window frames, scaling of these apps is bad on 4k... the only workaround for me, and that is not something I really like, is to replace Gtk with Qt or KDE apps. Hope these bugs are addressed soon!
                Question is that it is not the default environment yet, furthermore I've installed the wayland packages but the screen stays dark when I switch to wayland on the latest Kubuntu distro, so I imagine there are problems on its implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R
                  Plasma works already great on Wayland, it is considered stable since 5.12. Besides some corner cases there is not really something I miss, I use it since a long time as my daily driver. There are bugs, but I can work around. What's not working on Plasma-Wayland is the Firefox nightly Wayland build, LibreOffice/virt-mamager have no window frames, scaling of the apps is bad as well in 4k... I don't like it, but the only work around I found so far is to replace Gtk with Qt apps, but this shouldn't be the solution and I would really love to see that this is addressed soon.
                  And perhaps the most famous corner case: it's locked to 60 FPS

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    You're so right! 'Cause Wayland is already the de-facto standard, *all* other DE's and WM's have already been ported to Wayland and are fully stable and full-featured, Xorg 1.20 will not be released 'cause it's been deprecated in favor of Wayland... oh wait.

Comment

Working...
                    X