System76 Gets On The GNOME Advisory Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Since when is Mate a fork of GNOME 3? I thought it was a continuation of off the GNOME 2 codebase, but rewritten in GTK 3 since?
    We thought the same :-)

More detailedly: Mate is a fork of Gnome 2, that some people made because they found it better than Gnome 3.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      It's funny to me that everyone seems to have settled on a DE that is almost universally despised if forums around the internet are to be believed.

Personally, I like Gnome and use it (until I can be bothered to learn i3/sway). But I can understand why other people don't like it. And yet this is the DE that everyone has gravitated towards.
      Apparently, alienating users is an important feature to corporations. It works for Microsoft, doesn't it?

I'm not a genuine GNOME "hater," but the way developers respond to users does grind my gears.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Apparently, alienating users is an important feature to corporations. It works for Microsoft, doesn't it?

I'm not a genuine GNOME "hater," but the way developers respond to users does grind my gears.
        How do I accept these terms?

By using or accessing our products or services on or after May 1, 2018, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement. If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before May 1, 2018.

I guess will see on may 1,2018. I guess i'll have to use qtcreator on ... drum roll...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          I have a system76 laptop, unfortunately my wasn't an happy deal.
          By the way, I believe this commercial entity had better to switch from Ubuntu to something else. I have very hard time to understand how you can rely on a distro that is based on a snap of Debian Sid, with very few packages tested and rest completely buggy for the entire release cycle.

Beside my personal idea that Debian stable is the best option to create a distro (like Librem does), if you need a commercial partner to create your personal distro there are available other reliable options like Fedora, Suse (and its derivates), Red Hat/Centos. Ubuntu made a lot chaos and confusion taking advantage of its notoriety and it failed in almost everything, it made its time but we should go over.
          ubuntu 16.04 is a great distro, stable and fast. Pop_os is bad ubuntu 18.04 looks bad maybe the problem is DE choice

Comment

It's funny to me that everyone seems to have settled on a DE that is almost universally despised if forums around the internet are to be believed.
            Is there still someone that believes the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

We thought the same :-)

More detailedly: Mate is a fork of Gnome 2, that some people made because it is better than Gnome 3.
              fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
                How do I accept these terms?

By using or accessing our products or services on or after May 1, 2018, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement. If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before May 1, 2018.

I guess will see on may 1,2018. I guess i'll have to use qtcreator on ... drum roll...
                What did they add to their list of stuff none will ever care to read? (me included)

Comment

Personally, I like Gnome and use it (until I can be bothered to learn i3/sway). But I can understand why other people don't like it. And yet this is the DE that everyone has gravitated towards.
                  Forums aren't necessarily indicative of the real world. Quite to the contrary, in fact. Happy users just get on with whatever they want to do, and a few among the few unhappy ones will spend their time venting their frustration on forums. Reading forums would make you believe that Gnome is the worst thing since the Ebola virus, or that systemd is a conspiracy that no-one wanted but is forced to use being held at gunpoint, or that Linux itself has no redeeming qualities and everyone is jumping ship to FreeBSD, or conversely, that the only thing the FreeBSD community does is to argue to death about sjw pronouns... The point being, trolls will always be trolling but the rest of the world gets on with their lives and work.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    What did they add to their list of stuff none will ever care to read? (me included)
                    Had a quick gander, most of it is just boiler plate, we rebranded stuff. The most affective part seems to refer to arbitration to make it clear that you can't cooperate with any other dissatisfied customers when taking Microsoft to Arbitration. If I understand correctly anyway. Legalese is as it always is.

Comment

Originally posted by arbition View Post
                      Had a quick gander, most of it is just boiler plate, we rebranded stuff. The most affective part seems to refer to arbitration to make it clear that you can't cooperate with any other dissatisfied customers when taking Microsoft to Arbitration. If I understand correctly anyway. Legalese is as it always is.
                      Hm, a "no class actions 2.0" change.

Thanks for taking the time to read/understand and provide a tl:dr.

Comment

Working...
                      X