X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PackRat
    replied
    Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Apparently, alienating users is an important feature to corporations. It works for Microsoft, doesn't it?

I'm not a genuine GNOME "hater," but the way developers respond to users does grind my gears.
    How do I accept these terms?

By using or accessing our products or services on or after May 1, 2018, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement. If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before May 1, 2018.

I guess will see on may 1,2018. I guess i'll have to use qtcreator on ... drum roll...

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    It's funny to me that everyone seems to have settled on a DE that is almost universally despised if forums around the internet are to be believed.

Personally, I like Gnome and use it (until I can be bothered to learn i3/sway). But I can understand why other people don't like it. And yet this is the DE that everyone has gravitated towards.
    Apparently, alienating users is an important feature to corporations. It works for Microsoft, doesn't it?

I'm not a genuine GNOME "hater," but the way developers respond to users does grind my gears.

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Since when is Mate a fork of GNOME 3? I thought it was a continuation of off the GNOME 2 codebase, but rewritten in GTK 3 since?
    We thought the same :-)

More detailedly: Mate is a fork of Gnome 2, that some people made because they found it better than Gnome 3.

Leave a comment:

• PackRat
    replied
    It's funny to me that everyone seems to have settled on a DE that is almost universally despised if forums around the internet are to be believed.

Personally, I like Gnome and use it (until I can be bothered to learn i3/sway). But I can understand why other people don't like it. And yet this is the DE that everyone has gravitated towards.
    Let's check redit subs r/kde 13,041 r/gnome 8,925 r/xfce 4593 r/cinnamonde 1016 r/mate 451

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by MihaiBojescu View Post
    If only gnome worked as well as plasma... In my case, plasma works as smooth as butter, but gnome micro-stutters when I open menus or when I do day to day stuff (opening/closing windows, moving windows, and so on and so forth)... :-/
    I mean, gnome certainly looks really good, but plasma's performance is unmatched in this comparison.
    (I also have to mention that I'm running recent hardware, not old one, in case it's not clear enough that gnome struggles even on the most recent hardware)
    I agree. I switched back to KDE recently (currently 5.12.x) after a few years of not using it and while there are a few performance bugs every so often, it's smooth overall and the few performance bugs left are easily fixed (AFAICT as a non-developer). No stuttering, smooth effects, etc. even with a lot of windows open.
    (and let me in turn mention that my laptop has 2015/2016 hardware and is pretty low-end)

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
    Not "towards", but the contrary, seeing the forks because they saw that Gnome 3 was limiting. That forks include Mate, Cinnamon, and what Ubuntu had to make.
    Since when is Mate a fork of GNOME 3? I thought it was a continuation of off the GNOME 2 codebase, but rewritten in GTK 3 since?

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Extremists always set the image for the group. Mulsims have a bad rep because of ISIS. Christians have a bad rep because of evangelicals. Linux has a bad rep because if you make spelling mistakes the GNU police will come find you to start a argument.

I have contributed to both Gnome and KDE and have found the developers to be outstanding, additionally at the source I don't feel there is much if any hurt feelings -- just devs respecting other devs and spending their time coding what they believe in or love.

I think KDE group has picked up the teenage generation, and I think they've also picked up the control-freaks -- people that need to be able to put their widgets in a triangle on the desktop.

Just the other day a KDE user had a fit and flipped out doing a huge ragepost because Plasma discontinued workspaces. Nevermind the fact that the development decision had been made for 1 or 2 years already (The user upgraded from one Ubuntu LTS to a new one or something) and was obviously not qued in on development as it happened.

If I was KDE devs I would want to fire some of my users for the bad image and unreasonable demands they have -- but maybe it's just age.

Gnome is well liked by many, and although it occasionally has problems users deal with them or overlook them just like every Shell has problems.

I think the Linux / FOSS community also has a "lets support the underdog" mentality -- and I think we get zealots who canabilize the community a little -- everyone should just be glad that others are not on Windows or Mac, but that's not good enough anymore as they've been forgotten, so instead they talk bad about the #1 used Shell because the "big guys" have been fought so don't make decisions that screw us over.

So I think the problems are really pshycological and social whereas statistics say Gnome is usually liked better than KDE or equally at best.

I saw a user complain that Gnome's logo is a foot the other day -- and since they are missing in action I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that KDE meant at one time the "Kool Desktop Environment" and I don't know if it's still true -- but they used to have the kNamingConvention that was god-awful -- kwordprocessor or kristianbibleapp or whatever was terrible.

Leave a comment:

• MihaiBojescu
    replied
    If only gnome worked as well as plasma... In my case, plasma works as smooth as butter, but gnome micro-stutters when I open menus or when I do day to day stuff (opening/closing windows, moving windows, and so on and so forth)... :-/
    I mean, gnome certainly looks really good, but plasma's performance is unmatched in this comparison.
    (I also have to mention that I'm running recent hardware, not old one, in case it's not clear enough that gnome struggles even on the most recent hardware)

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    I have a system76 laptop, unfortunately my wasn't an happy deal.
    By the way, I believe this commercial entity had better to switch from Ubuntu to something else. I have very hard time to understand how you can rely on a distro that is based on a snap of Debian Sid, with very few packages tested and rest completely buggy for the entire release cycle.

Beside my personal idea that Debian stable is the best option to create a distro (like Librem does), if you need a commercial partner to create your personal distro there are available other reliable options like Fedora, Suse (and its derivates), Red Hat/Centos. Ubuntu made a lot chaos and confusion taking advantage of its notoriety and it failed in almost everything, it made its time but we should go over.

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Depends on your definition of "believed". Some people don't like it, and those are the ones that keep posting about how much they hate it. The ones that are perfectly happy with it you never hear from. Well, except Griffin/Mentalist here.

You can't extrapolate the success/failure of something from a few negative reactions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X