More GNOME Performance Improvements Are On The Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

One guy fixed three bugs. Yeah, it's nice to see but that's hardly the effort I'd expect from the self-proclaimed Linux market leader.
    One guy fixed three bugs others did not. If you think that bug fixing isn't that important..., it's as important as developement itself. Canonical is likely to fix critical bugs that are related for their distribution, no one is obligated to do so..., but it would be fair from Canonical (and other GNOME users or distributions who use it) side to actively take part in at least bug fixing that greatly contributes to end user experience and to the distribution itself as an end result.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Reporting a gnome bug? Wasted time.
      Which bug did you report?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

I don't report Gnome bugs, because it's a waste of time. I only report Kernel and KDE bugs and they're addressed very fast. Like someone else already said: YouDontNeedThatFeature™, WorkingAsIntended™, WeKnowBetter™. There are memory leaks bugs in Gnome unfixed since years, so get lost Gnome. Hopefully Canonical will make it usable once again.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

"GNOME causes Stockholm syndrome"

Comment

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
            I would love to see this one fixed: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=778926
            why do you think this is a bug? scrolling a terminal under gnome will use only 60% of your cpu, so gnome developers are free to waste the remaining 40% too with fancy graphics jokes...

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              Hopefully Canonical will make it usable once again.
              Canonical didn't it with Gnome2 and It is not going to do that with Gnome3.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
                Well, they put some relevant effort into making it suck not that much. And hearing all the users hoping someone will actually fix GNOME, you beliving canonical drops the desktop would draw a really dark future.
                Actually I don't care anything about Ubuntu, I just pointed out that after dismissing Unity it is clear that Ubuntu desktop is not anymore a priority for Canonical so thinking that Ubuntu will fix Gnome 3 seems a remote possibility.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                I think this is not true at all. For better or worse, there is, in fact, little in the default Ubuntu installation that comes directly from upstream. The kernel is and always has been a modified build - actually, none of the major distros use an upstream kernel. The GNOME desktop is customised with Canonical's own tools and extensions. Same thing for systemd, network manager, libvirt or qemu. Canonical had abandoned the desktop in the past to focus on the whole convergence fiasco and I, for one, am glad to see that concept finally dead, buried and cremated. It seems to me that to the contrary, Canonical is hopefully back in the desktop business with a renewed focus on improving GNOME, pushing Wayland and snap. I absolutely want to see Linux succeed on the desktop (which doesn't necessarily mean overtaking Windows) and the truth is that so far, only Canonical seems to be in a position to make it happen.
                Oh my...

Last edited by Danielsan; 16 April 2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X