More GNOME Performance Improvements Are On The Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
    Good. Now, instead of being just a brick, GNOME will become a brick with wheels.

Hopefully it'll get wings in the next stable release.
    Awwww. Joined in Jan 2018 and already learned some things about trolling gnome/gtk+ announcements. You must be so proud!

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
      I don't believe Canonical will put any relevant effort in Gnome as well as its desktop version, it has almost abandoned Ubuntu desktop relying for it everything, with very few exceptions, to the upstream version.
      Well, they put some relevant effort into making it suck not that much. And hearing all the users hoping someone will actually fix GNOME, you beliving canonical drops the desktop would draw a really dark future.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
        Well, they put some relevant effort into making it suck not that much.
        One guy fixed three bugs. Yeah, it's nice to see but that's hardly the effort I'd expect from the self-proclaimed Linux market leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          I don't believe Canonical will put any relevant effort in Gnome as well as its desktop version, it has almost abandoned Ubuntu desktop relying for it everything, with very few exceptions, to the upstream version.
          I think this is not true at all. For better or worse, there is, in fact, little in the default Ubuntu installation that comes directly from upstream. The kernel is and always has been a modified build - actually, none of the major distros use an upstream kernel. The GNOME desktop is customised with Canonical's own tools and extensions. Same thing for systemd, network manager, libvirt or qemu. Canonical had abandoned the desktop in the past to focus on the whole convergence fiasco and I, for one, am glad to see that concept finally dead, buried and cremated. It seems to me that to the contrary, Canonical is hopefully back in the desktop business with a renewed focus on improving GNOME, pushing Wayland and snap. I absolutely want to see Linux succeed on the desktop (which doesn't necessarily mean overtaking Windows) and the truth is that so far, only Canonical seems to be in a position to make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
            I would love to see this one fixed: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=778926
            There will are always performance issues on Wayland until Gnome Shell 4

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Awwww. Joined in Jan 2018 and already learned some things about trolling gnome/gtk+ announcements. You must be so proud!
              There are competent people outside of Phoronix forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
                Asking stupid questions is a one-minute job. Trolling is a two-minutes job. Figuring out how to read gitlab.gnome’s activity log is three-minutes job.

Only one of these options will add any value. Spend your time wisely.
                Reporting a gnome bug? Wasted time.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

He just wrote the truth about gnome/gtk+. It's slow and bloated crap in this moment. Thankfully Canonical will fix memory leaks and performance issues unresolved for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Reporting a gnome bug? Wasted time.
                    YouDontNeedThatFeature™
                    WorkingAsIntended™
                    WeKnowBetter™

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
                    Figuring out how to read gitlab.gnome’s activity log is three-minutes job.
                    Here's a one-line summay of GNOME's gitlab activity log.

"Removed features you don't need (but you don't know that yet)"*

*but hopefully, ThereWillBeAnExtensionForThat™

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                      Good. Now, instead of being just a brick, GNOME will become a brick with wheels.

Hopefully it'll get wings in the next stable release.
                      For it to get wings, it needs Red Bull to become a GNOME sponsor/contributor.

Comment

Working...
                      X