No announcement yet.

Pidgin 2.13 Linux Desktop Instant Messaging Client Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most people I converse with through Hangouts. I was using the Chrome Application/Extension, but recently switched back to Pidgin as it goes well with my Linux dark theme. It also works with my works Skype for Business, so I can connect and do most of my work from my personal Linux laptop, which is nice. I feel the current interface works nicely with dark themes, but welcome to hear it has been improved now too.

Comment

I use teamspeak, we have our own TS3 sever running on the NAS, viber and because of some stick in the mud family Skype.
      Don't use hangouts or whatever as I get the feeling Google is watching me.

Comment

Originally posted by seijikun View Post
        It took me 1h to find the source code of Pidgin, only to see that it's still using Mercurial - ugh.
        I found it in about 30 seconds, although I haven't checked their website in years. From their main page I clicked DEVELOPMENT in their main (top) menu, and in the For Developers category I noticed Browse Source in bold.

For the amount of resources they have in their developer area I agree they could offer a separate link for downloading the source, but while I checked their download page I noticed they have Source there as well. But 1 hour? You probably had something much better to do while you peaked at their website, intermittently.

Comment

Pidgin is the past, their XMPP support is b0rken, making its usage a pain for others with up to date clients.

I recommend Gajim (version 1.0.1 is out!) or the new Dino ( https://dino.im ), hey even Jabbercat ( https://jabbercat.org/ ), these are up to date XMPP clients, that supports all the XEPs you'd want/need (carbons, MAM, OMEMO, etc), also they're constantly updating, not once a year like Pidgin does.

Too bad Pidgin is the *known* client, it leaves a bad taste, and the wrong impression for new users.

Comment

Still use Pidgin. Have no troubles with XMPP yet - works fine for chatting with is the point. Some other clients take up all of the screen space as well, a chat client should be minimal and above all compact so it says out of your way most of the time!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I agree. But most OSS people don't because GitHub is proprietary and GitLab is the almighty new king for them. But I like GitHub's interface much, much better.
              That's the same thing. Both are platforms where anyone can do pull requests.

Comment

Originally posted by DRanged View Post
                I use teamspeak, we have our own TS3 sever running on the NAS, viber and because of some stick in the mud family Skype.
                Don't use hangouts or whatever as I get the feeling Google is watching me.
                Really, Teamspeak still? I thought everyone moved on to Discord but seems like I was wrong...

Comment

Many systems I keep an eye on are middle-aged hardware running older LTS distro releases (very well thank you) but some key apps like good old Pidgin here aren't getting updates and with gmail users recently force-herded into the proprietary "hangouts" Goo-pen it's clearly time to un-herd and seek fresher pastures.

Got to remember to remind people not to get too involved with Google's eventually private "eco-systems".
                  Last edited by misGnomer; 10 April 2018, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Pidgin should integrate OTR and become more privacy focused client. I still don't know why they don't do it. They could improve IRC support by offering traditional IRC UI elements such as a command console and XMPP specific UI features such as service discovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                      Pidgin is the past, their XMPP support is b0rken, making its usage a pain for others with up to date clients.

I recommend Gajim (version 1.0.1 is out!) or the new Dino ( https://dino.im ), hey even Jabbercat ( https://jabbercat.org/ ), these are up to date XMPP clients, that supports all the XEPs you'd want/need (carbons, MAM, OMEMO, etc), also they're constantly updating, not once a year like Pidgin does.

Too bad Pidgin is the *known* client, it leaves a bad taste, and the wrong impression for new users.
                      I second that. It would be good, if Pidgin could add better protocol support for this and for IRC, and add some typical UI idioms for IRC like a command console.

Comment

Working...
                      X