Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Applications 18.04 Release Candidate Arrives

Phoronix: KDE Applications 18.04 Release Candidate Arrives

With plans to officially ship KDE Applications 18.04 later this month, the release candidate is out today for this collection of K* applications...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tions-18.04-RC

What a bad time to advertise photo uploads to Facebook as a feature!

Comment

Serious question:
      What protocols are still alive that Kopete supports at this point? AIM is dead, Live is dead, Google has basically shut off the valves with its restrictions around legacy clients...

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Serious question:
        What protocols are still alive that Kopete supports at this point? AIM is dead, Live is dead, Google has basically shut off the valves with its restrictions around legacy clients...
        There are plenty of protocols still in use. Instant messengers may not be as popular as they were in the 90s-00s, but a lot of private chat services are used. Where I work, XMPP is used so employees can quickly ask questions without calling or emailing.
        But... nobody uses Kopete. The project could be killed off and I don't think anyone would especially care.

Comment

Somebody obviously wants it and is still maintaining it.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            Google has basically shut off the valves with its restrictions around legacy clients...
            You can still do basic chatting over XMPP with the Google network.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            But... nobody uses Kopete. The project could be killed off and I don't think anyone would especially care.
            I suspect that this is due to the much more vibrant community of plugin devs around libpurple.
            (which supports the JSON/XML interface used by FB Messenger Android app, now that Facebook have killed their XMPP gateway,
            it supports the web-app that is used by the modern version of Skype (the new Linux Skype is basically http://web.skype.com in a wrapper),
            and countless others).

Comment

Working...
            X