Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 3.5 Released With Initial Vulkan Loader

Phoronix: Wine 3.5 Released With Initial Vulkan Loader

Wine 3.5 is now available as the latest bi-weekly release for this popular program to run Windows games/programs on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Our Vulkan loader does support multiple Linux graphics drivers, so multiple GPUs from different vendors will work fine. it is just that we only support a single win32 ICD.

Basically our architecture is:
    vulkan-1.dll -> winevulkan -> winex11.drv -> libvulkan.so.1

vulkan-1 is hardcoded to use winevulkan and it can use multiple theoretical wine drivers (winex11, a future wineandroid with vulkan, etcetera). winex11.drv loads native vulkan and if the host has multiple drivers installed, libvulkan just reports those devices all back to winex11.drv and ultimately back to vulkan-1.

Comment

I want to play Doom and this sound like it would be fairly straightforward to do so... but if I did, they'd think I was buying it for Windows and playing it on Windows and others on Steam would think it was a game that didn't work on Linux... so I'm going to hold off. When it shows as Linux-compatible in Steam, I'll buy it. I hope someone can get on that.

I'd be willing to donate a fair amount of money to get that fixed in a timely manner; on the order of a few hundred dollars perhaps.
      Last edited by ethana2; 30 March 2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
        I want to play Doom and this sound like it would be fairly straightforward to do so... but if I did, they'd think I was buying it for Windows and playing it on Windows and others on Steam would think it was a game that didn't work on Linux... so I'm going to hold off. When it shows as Linux-compatible in Steam, I'll buy it. I hope someone can get on that.

I'd be willing to donate a fair amount of money to get that fixed in a timely manner; on the order of a few hundred dollars perhaps.
        DOOM was already ported internally at id by the developers (they said as much at this year's GDC), the problem is that Bethesda does not see it as profitable to actually release and support it.

Comment

In this wine version appear some improvements related battleeye, punkbuster and others

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
            so I'm going to hold off. When it shows as Linux-compatible in Steam, I'll buy it. I hope someone can get on that.

I wouldn't support any Windows only games anymore. I quickly ran the demo in wine/opengl but got bored, probably because I've played to much Doom 3 BFG
            which is a native app. The gameplay is almost the same.

Comment

So how DXVK works with this?

Comment

Bethesda need to harden up and just release the Binary as-is. Tell people it comes with no support and treat it like the Quake 1/2/3/4 ports were.

Comment

Maybe linus can help us getting bethesda release the game... Just a short message like he did for nvidia
                  It is the only reason i did not buy the game yet, windows only!

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    So how DXVK works with this?
                    It does.

Comment

Working...
                    X