Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes Begin Building Up For LibreOffice 6.1

Phoronix: Changes Begin Building Up For LibreOffice 6.1

LibreOffice 6.0 was released at the end of January while already is a fair amount of new features over the past two months that have started up building for the next release of this open-source office suite, LibreOffice 6.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still one of the weakest point of the Linux Application Eco System.

Comment

I hope this stabilizes the 6.x line a bit. My initial impression has been terrible! After the upgrade to 6 I've had a lot of crashes, and it's usually while the document is just sitting open or I switch to it, so I don't have a way to file a bug report really because there was none when it re-launched. Same thing when it would corrupt a recovered file. No error message to send, so I had little to say about the event, and after an important document was corrupted to the point of not being able to recover it, I have only used Google Docs since then.

Comment

It would be nice if the Windows version's automatic update would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
          Why pick Qt for Libreoffice when GTK is already used for the rest of the desktop?
          You mean the shitty one with terrible UI, huge memory leaks and terrible performance? No, the best part of the Linux desktop is using Qt. If someone is switching to different toolkit it's always gtk crap to Qt.

Comment

Yes, let's have another GTK vs. Qt Holy War.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a

I disagree. I think LibreOffice is a wonderful office suite that keeps improving significantly. The Linux office space has never been better.
              It would be perfect if they had plans to rewrite the GUI in Qt, but I'm not so displeased with its current state.
              Well,
              Coming from Windows and comparing all applications I used to their reference in Windows the Office Suite looks like the weakest point.
              It is not polished, the experience isn't smooth, performance are slow, the UI isn't coherent, etc...

Actually Google Docs is much better applications then this.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post

Well,
                Coming from Windows and comparing all applications I used to their reference in Windows the Office Suite looks like the weakest point.
                It is not polished, the experience isn't smooth, performance are slow, the UI isn't coherent, etc...
                Not my experience at all. You'll need to explain your complaints as they are pretty vague.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
                  That would serve no purpose. Kernel, init, desktop etc. are settled. The distributors already made their choice.
                  LMAO. Let me guess - the desktop, toolkit and everything you prefer is The One True Way (C). The distros I'm familiar with let the user decide as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a

I disagree. I think LibreOffice is a wonderful office suite that keeps improving significantly. The Linux office space has never been better.
                    It would be perfect if they had plans to rewrite the GUI in Qt, but I'm not so displeased with its current state.
                    OPINION ONLY:

Qt is absolute bloatware. Every effing package under the sun needs to be installed on Debian for a basic app like TeXWorks is one example of what an abortion it has always been. I always laugh how people found NeXTSTEP elegant but didn't want to learn ObjC and look what happened? That elegance we brought with us at NeXT to Apple turned a company 3 months from filing bankruptcy to the most valued corporation, globally. Qt is 20+ years old and it's a pig. Cocoa is 30+ years old and elegant.

GNOME was smart to parrot much of OS X GUI and consistency when developing 3.x. With GTK+ 4.x it feels even more like it, without all the massive overhead that needs to be anchored on your system for the most basic of GUI functionality: of course since Qt programmatically creates its GUI it goes without saying consistency and the GUI will never meet.

Example of a great idea that has taken an eternity to get off the ground, Scribus. It's a nightmare of Qt on steroids.

The one example of taking an eternity to mature, but not because of the frameworks leveraged, but the developers no one wants to develop with is GIMP. The application has roughly 3 primary developers and unlike Blender with hundreds of contributors from companies and individuals, that little click goes out of its way to be dickish to improvements.

Meanwhile, a small group of Graphics developers leverage Cocoa and produce Affinity Designer and Photo on iOS and macOS with Cocoa, then hire a few devs to port to Windows. They don't have the personnel of an army of FOSS developers, just a few efficient developers leveraging the hell out of seasoned frameworks on three platforms that do a ton of the heavy lifting for you.

I can't stand Windows after 30 years of having to deal with it here and there, but the single dumbest move Linux ever did was foster the idea that diametrically opposed desktop frameworks be developed as if that was somehow going to produce a superior platform.

GNOME grew up, Qt got bought and sold several times, and KDE is the anchor baby that continues to grow like a cyst across it's body.

GNOME keeps growing in flexibility, consistency and improving the workflow while not being in your face, and Qt keeps growing like some gluttonous pig.

Comment

Working...
                    X