No announcement yet.

Linux Gets An Open-Source VR Desktop, Built Off OpenHMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a definite "yay" from me. I'd say one of the worst things about VR is how inconvenient and inelegant it is to switch between tasks. With something like this, you can just keep the headset on. It's a mostly static interface, so I doubt nausea would be a problem.

EDIT:
    Reading other people's comments, I never really thought about how this effectively replaces multi-monitor setups.

Comment

For augmented reality this would be great. I could get rid of three monitors and just have "virtual" ones instead

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

That's what the moulded bumps on F and J are for. While I admit I don't currently use them that way, I could see myself building that habit.
        That helps to find the main keys yes (I don't use them, I put my left hand on left-shift and my right hand on return to do that). But some keys are not in that zone. On my keyboard (Logitech MK710), some keys are not simple to find without my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
          The problem with that is that you are using a camera and a display to show what the user could just see with his eyes without said camera and display. The end result adds latency and thus it will further complicate brain-hand coordination. This is why for AR it is better to have transparent displays lige Googles glass and similar are better. While we are at it I am much more excited about AR than VR.
          What do you mean they could just see with their eyes without the camera and display? That'd mean lifting the headset to peek with their eyes into the real world wouldn't it? On the Vive I just double tap a button on the controller and I have the X-Ray mode that was described, I can see others in the room, any objects that I might want to avoid colliding into, the cable, if I'm drinking or eating I can see those too. Although for food, it'd depend as details aren't super fine/granular. I've used the feature a lot as I'm less confident in VR for free roaming environments that I work on, especially when others are nearby.

But you can easily get a sense of where you are in the room and where the keyboard is, place your hadnds on it and start typing(assuming you know how to touch type). The x-ray overlay doesn't have any problematic latency that I noticed, there is a colour video overlay too if you'd like that but afaik it's not fullscreen, just pops up as a little window attached to the controller.

I haven't gotten to try out any AR glasses myself yet, they'd be good for some things although I've heard they're not as good in quality yet.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            This is a definite "yay" from me. I'd say one of the worst things about VR is how inconvenient and inelegant it is to switch between tasks. With something like this, you can just keep the headset on. It's a mostly static interface, so I doubt nausea would be a problem.

EDIT:
            Reading other people's comments, I never really thought about how this effectively replaces multi-monitor setups.
            Have you not tried VR with SteamVR where you get the desktop/monitor as a 3D panel when toggling settings in a VR experience? Your controller is like a laser pointer on a whiteboard for the mouse, you just move the mouse around and pull the trigger to click. It's all just screen capture pretty much onto a texture rather than each app being it's own separate plane in 3D space, but I'd assume that's because the OS(Windows for me with the headset) isn't built with VR support in mind :P

Comment

Interesting, looks like compiz inspired, why not tho. I doubt it would ever become usable DE, since VR is not as useful and is very inconvenient IMO. Do not wish (do not care actually) for whole VR to end up as it did in 80's and 90's, but that will be probably the end result.

Comment

No VR will get really big, for ex. only look into the xplane forum. However I don't think that I'll use it for desktop much.

Comment

Actually, some thing I've been wondering since I saw the screenshot on SimulaVR's GitHub is whether it would be possible to render two different viewpoints for 3D games/applications, so as to have a kind of virtual 3D multi-monitor setup. Just think about how awesome that would be.

I've used iz3d a few years ago, so I think this would very likely be possible (of course, crosshairs, HUD, shadows and reflections are always awkward if not rendered in screen-space).

One could even imagine adding support for panning, so that you would just have to move your head to look over that wall in your favorite strategy game

Oh, and 3D movies, of course. Those should be really easy (though maybe require a custom Wayland protocol?)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

That's what the moulded bumps on F and J are for. While I admit I don't currently use them that way, I could see myself building that habit.
                    Playing Elite Dangerous in VR, I use those bumps ALL THE TIME. You still at this point need to type in system names into the Galaxy map.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post

The problem with that is that you are using a camera and a display to show what the user could just see with his eyes without said camera and display. The end result adds latency and thus it will further complicate brain-hand coordination. This is why for AR it is better to have transparent displays lige Googles glass and similar are better. While we are at it I am much more excited about AR than VR.
                      There is no (perceivable) latency, that's the whole point. If / when there is latency in VR (when you move your head and the graphics don't move with you) it is sure to make you vomit. This is the main reason VR for the home never really took off in the 90s when there was such a huge craze. The systems simply weren't powerful enough to handle tracking with high enough resolution. It's also why the minimum specs are still pretty high. Give it another 4-5 years when your average machine will be able to handle VR easily, and the influx of cheaper headsets and it'll take off a lot better. AR is COMPLETELY different than VR. On so many levels.

Comment

Working...
                      X