Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphin Getting More Improvements For KDE Applications 18.04 & Other KDE Happenings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    I've been using KDE again lately (I hadn't used it since 4.11/4.12) and I do like it again. But it's funny that people keep saying that KDE apps are more advanced than GNOME ones. I mean (and do read this before quoting please!): it's true that a lot of KDE apps have more functionality. But a few of these upcoming improvements were already available in GNOME, like reporting of symlinks in Nautlius and controlling gThumb via MPRIS.
    These are two examples. There, at the latest, when you try to organize, tag and edit large image collections efficiently, you will find no Gnome application.
    But hey, you still can chose between 5 high-class applications: eog, gthumb, shotwell, photos, niepce.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      like reporting of symlinks in Nautlius and controlling gThumb via MPRIS.
      Dolphin was already able to report symlinks as well, both in the file properties dialog and as additional information in the normal file view. This is about jumping directly to the symlink target from the right-click menu. I am not sure whether Nautilus can do this or not, just thought I should clarify since the Phoronix description was unclear.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        "A notorious and longstanding bug has been fixed!"
        I am most happy about this getting fixed, even though it wasn't a KDE bug but a Network manager one!.
        It was very annoying to type the password twice on each wireless connect.
        I hope that Kubuntu 18.04 backports the fix, as suggested on the blog post.
        Yep, we already did.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Manjaro is fantastic for KDE. I've heard Chakra and KaOS(though a bit limited) are also nice. Kubuntu has been getting good rep lately too.
          I'm the Kubuntu Product Manager, and intend to breathe new life into Kubuntu to make it the de facto reference KDE distro (KDE Neon isn't a distro, it's more of a convenient development platform). So far Kubuntu 18.04 is shaping up very nicely. Kubuntu with the backports PPA to get more recent KDE software basically makes Kubuntu into a better Neon, IMHO.
          Last edited by ngraham; 19 March 2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a

This is a very interesting goal. I wish you great success.

I'm curious about what you think of the low opinion some people have of Kubuntu and how it could be reversed.
            Kubuntu's reputation suffered as a result of the half-baked 16.04 release, which used a somewhat unstable Plasma version. A lot of people only use LTS Ubuntu versions, and were disappointed.

This time it's going to be different, because we're targeting the Plasma 5.12 LTS release, which was really good. We've also done a lot of general polish work that I think will make a difference.

Other than that, it's just the typical task of reversing irrational internet hate. Once it becomes popular to hate something, it becomes a habit, even among people who never experienced the original problem in the first place. You still see people complaining that "KDE is bloated"--a relic from 10 years ago that bears no relationship to the current reality. The solution is relentless positivity, which become infectious, and eventually drives out the irrational negativity.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
              Dolphin was already able to report symlinks as well, both in the file properties dialog and as additional information in the normal file view. This is about jumping directly to the symlink target from the right-click menu. I am not sure whether Nautilus can do this or not, just thought I should clarify since the Phoronix description was unclear.
              Nautilus does that, at least the version I'm using.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Kubuntu's reputation suffered as a result of the half-baked 16.04 release, which used a somewhat unstable Plasma version. A lot of people only use LTS Ubuntu versions, and were disappointed.

This time it's going to be different, because we're targeting the Plasma 5.12 LTS release, which was really good. We've also done a lot of general polish work that I think will make a difference.

Other than that, it's just the typical task of reversing irrational internet hate. Once it becomes popular to hate something, it becomes a habit, even among people who never experienced the original problem in the first place. You still see people complaining that "KDE is bloated"--a relic from 10 years ago that bears no relationship to the current reality. The solution is relentless positivity, which become infectious, and eventually drives out the irrational negativity.
                KDE still feels a bit bloated every now and then (and I'm currently using KDE again after years of not using it, so no hate from a 'happy GNOME camper' here!), but I agree that it's 100x less bloated than in the KDE 4 era so it's definitely improved

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                  These are two examples. There, at the latest, when you try to organize, tag and edit large image collections efficiently, you will find no Gnome application.
                  I do exactly that with gThumb, no problems at all. The git version is esp. nice as there have been lots of performance improvements over the last couple of months.

Comment

I would like to see Polkit integration for working with root-only folders and files. Gnome has already done this with Nautilus.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Yep, we already did.
                      I tested a new build again and is indeed fixed.
                      Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                      X