Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Elisa Music Player Preparing For Its v0.1 Released

Phoronix: KDE's Elisa Music Player Preparing For Its v0.1 Released

We have been tracking the development of Elisa, one of several KDE music players, since development started about one year ago. Following the recent alpha releases, the KDE Elisa 0.1 stable release is on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like the playlist is similar to the one in Amarok, nice. Looking forward to test this.

Comment

Using it now on Antergos, it seems to run smoothly. Actually, it detected my full library (5K tracks) rather fast. I hope they continue with explore Kirigami. That would be another app ready to go for plasma mobile!

Comment

Good player. Just dont understand why in previous release (beta) they force to use qt 5.9 and all below 5.7 or 5.8 wont compile.

Comment

I don't get why all those non-desktop-environment related tools and applications have to be under KDE umbrella.
          To me it seems all those applications distract the main focus of the KDE project a lot from beeing a good desktop environment to ... beeing a good fit for everything.

Almost as if KDE aims to become Eclipse and/or Apache, foundations hosting tons of more or less unrelated projects. And well, from the current point-of-view, both Eclipse as well as Apache are facing major issues currently.

Comment

This seems like a good chance for new players to benefit from Clementine's lack of pace. Qt 4 is being phased out in some distros, and the Qt 5 build of Clementine is borderline unusable.

Grab your chance while you can, I guess :P

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
              Good player. Just dont understand why in previous release (beta) they force to use qt 5.9 and all below 5.7 or 5.8 wont compile.
              5.9 is the current long term release of Qt, so it's a good target. 5.7 and 5.8 are end-of-life, and 5.6 (the previous LTS) is really too old for new projects.

When you're using a distribution that only offers old "stable" versions of packages, you need to understand that this also means you can only expect old software to run on it, unless you're prepared to install new versions of dependencies yourself.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. (Unless you're using Solus :P)
              Last edited by RealNC; 17 March 2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                Really? 'Cause in a different topic yesterday a few people kept saying that KDE cares so much about backward compatibility. But it seems like that's only partly true then...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                  Almost as if KDE aims to become Eclipse and/or Apache, foundations hosting tons of more or less unrelated projects.
                  Of course I call wrong on the "more or less unrelated" - it's one community, with lots of people working together on a shared stack and shared resources -, but that's not just what we aim to be, it's de-facto what we are, and have been for most of KDE's history! KDE is about far more than just the desktop environment product.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Really? 'Cause in a different topic yesterday a few people kept saying that KDE cares so much about backward compatibility. But it seems like that's only partly true then...
                    Elisa is a very young application - this article is about it getting ready for a v0.1. It's pretty reasonable not to support a wide range of dependency versions while your focus is on ramping up functionality and maturing.

Comment

Working...
                    X