No announcement yet.

KDE Connect Keeps Getting Better For Interacting With Your Desktop From Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish GNOME had a similar native feature. KDE Connect on Plasma 5 is pretty neat; I especially like the notification sync from Android to desktop, and the file transfer without having to hook up a USB cable is convenient.

Originally posted by lumks View Post
    The only thing that really makes me feel strange, is that "gsconnect" -> https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1319/gsconnect/ for gnome works so much better and feels better integrated into gnome shell, compared to kde connect to kde plasma, while both are using the kde connect proto.

However, AWESOME WORK!
    Interesting, I'll have to give this a try. I didn't really think extensions on GNOME would come close to the experience KDE Connect provided on Plasma 5.

Edit: After getting that extension installed, I fully agree it feels nicer. Thanks for the information; this is awesome
    Last edited by Guest; 17 March 2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tgellen View Post
      Shame it's tied heavily to KDE. A DE agnostic backend daemon with multiple frontends (i.e. KDE, GNOME, XFCE, etc) would have been much better for Linux.
      That's very unlikely to ever happen given the fact that KDE is the one developing this. KDE develops for KDE, GNOME develops for GNOME, etc. There are few if any DE teams that work on distro-agnostic software. (note that I said *DE* teams, *not* distro teams)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That's very unlikely to ever happen given the fact that KDE is the one developing this. KDE develops for KDE, GNOME develops for GNOME, etc. There are few if any DE teams that work on distro-agnostic software. (note that I said *DE* teams, *not* distro teams)
        Who knows. KDE's DCOP eventually begat D-Bus thanks to the efforts of people from both KDE and GNOME participating in FreeDesktop.org.

Comment

Originally posted by tgellen View Post
          Shame it's tied heavily to KDE. A DE agnostic backend daemon with multiple frontends (i.e. KDE, GNOME, XFCE, etc) would have been much better for Linux.
          Check out indicator-kdeconnect. You'll have to build it yourself, and it doesn't seem to be actively maintained anymore, but it works quite well for me on i3wm. Probably doesn't support all the features of the native version, my primary interest is clipboard integration, but notifications, file transfers, and phone-screen-as-touchpad at least work fine too.

My phone is still using the app version 1.7.2 as f-droid hasn't got this latest update yet, but after updating last time to 1.7.2, everything kept on trucking.

AppIndicator for KDE Connect. Contribute to vikoadi/indicator-kdeconnect development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
            Check out indicator-kdeconnect. You'll have to build it yourself, and it doesn't seem to be actively maintained anymore, but it works quite well for me on i3wm. Probably doesn't support all the features of the native version, my primary interest is clipboard integration, but notifications, file transfers, and phone-screen-as-touchpad at least work fine too.

My phone is still using the app version 1.7.2 as f-droid hasn't got this latest update yet, but after updating last time to 1.7.2, everything kept on trucking.

https://github.com/vikoadi/indicator-kdeconnect
            Actually, indicator-kdeconnect has since been picked up by @bajoja who maintains, fixes bugs and packages. It's still probably the best Gtk interface available for XFCE/etc users who don't have Gnome Shell or KDE Plasma:

AppIndicator for KDE Connect. Contribute to b4j4/indicator-kdeconnect development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by andyholmes View Post
              Actually, indicator-kdeconnect has since been picked up by @bajoja who maintains, fixes bugs and packages. It's still probably the best Gtk interface available for XFCE/etc users who don't have Gnome Shell or KDE Plasma:

https://github.com/Bajoja/indicator-kdeconnect/
              OMG I love you, thanks very much for the link!

Comment

Comment

I just want to say thanks to the nice person above but my posts are "unapproved" and even though they won't appear in the thread the site keeps telling me that they've already been posted.

Comment

what a pile of crap

Comment

Working...
                    X