No announcement yet.

KDE Connect Keeps Getting Better For Interacting With Your Desktop From Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Connect Keeps Getting Better For Interacting With Your Desktop From Android

Phoronix: KDE Connect Keeps Getting Better For Interacting With Your Desktop From Android

KDE Connect is the exciting project that allows you to leverage your KDE desktop from Android tablets/smartphones for features like sending/receiving SMS messages from your desktop, toggling music, sharing files, and much more. KDE Connect does continue getting even better...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool! new features in a rather handy tool

Comment

The only thing that really makes me feel strange, is that "gsconnect" -> https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1319/gsconnect/ for gnome works so much better and feels better integrated into gnome shell, compared to kde connect to kde plasma, while both are using the kde connect proto.

However, AWESOME WORK!

Comment

I'm just sad that the bluetooth communication system is still beta in KDEConnect, and requires a specifically built APK to be able to be used.

I can't even install the test version on my phone because it doesn't work on Android 8.1.

Comment

Does not work for me. Device pairing never finished on phone's side. Does it need the most recent kdeconnect version installed on your computer too?

Comment

I hope they add in the future connection to computer through Bluetooth, so it doesn't require a router
            Also, I hope they add soon the display of cover art from local computer, I don't care about online services of music, I don't use any of them.

Comment

Shame it's tied heavily to KDE. A DE agnostic backend daemon with multiple frontends (i.e. KDE, GNOME, XFCE, etc) would have been much better for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                I hope they add in the future connection to computer through Bluetooth, so it doesn't require a router
                Also, I hope they add soon the display of cover art from local computer, I don't care about online services of music, I don't use any of them.
                I often use it with Androids access point, or usb tethering. Both work pretty well, and much better than MTP, in my experience. But I agree that bluetooth would be nice to have as well.

Wouldn't sharing the internet connection over Bluetooth work as well, though? I'm not sure how it works.

And +1 for the cover Art

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                  Does not work for me. Device pairing never finished on phone's side. Does it need the most recent kdeconnect version installed on your computer too?
                  I needed to whitelist some ports on the firewall in Tumbleweed, maybe you have the same issue?

Comment

I used to use KDE Connect. While I still use KDE (even on my Chromebook with Crouton), KDE Connect was not as functional and reliable as I liked. I ended up switching to Join (by joaoapps, also the new maintainer of Tasker). It works in more environments, has better functionality, and is much more polished. It does cost $5, but I even paid for that out of Google Opinion Rewards credits, so it was essentially free.

Comment

Working...
                    X