Faster Window/Application Launching Is Coming For Cinnamon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radeon View Post

I don't know why they didn't make Cinnamon an Extension to Gnome Shell. However, it's the same pattern we see in other fields, too. Take all those Window Managers or Environments like XFCE, Enlightenment, LXQt, LXDE and so on. They are not different enough to warrant completely separate development, yet they are all independent and much manpower is wasted by reinventing the wheel over and over again.

Edit: Just to have that said: I know the benefits of competition, however, there is an ideal number of competitors which is usually two. If we have dozens of competitors but only a very small Linux GUI market share, it means that there are dozens of products which are not really useable due to a lack of manpower.

In my personal view, an example of this is eMail clients under Linux. There is Thunderbird, which is really good with countless useful addons/extensions but also really slow, and it lacks Microsoft Exchange integration (some people need this for business purposes). There is Epiphany, but it doesn't do some things as good as Thunderbird.
    Then there is Claws and Sylpheed, both basically a bit outdated and each one having parts the other one is missing.

Now, if I am a user and need a subset of those functions/parts, there is quite a big chance that there is not a single client which has all of those functions, because the developers and thus some of the functions are distributed over all the available alternatives. In the end, I have to settle with a mediocre solution, just for the sake of having "many alternatives".
    They tried.
    The first 2 editions actually worked that way.
    But at that time Gnome 3 would break a lot between versions, so it was easier to fork.

Comment

Don't want to begin a holy war, but I've opened PR, saw Javascript and facepalmed.

Then I opened Cinnamon repo stats - 46.3% of code is Javascript. Double facepalmed.

And then we wonder why software becomes slower and slower while consuming more and more resources.

Comment

Originally posted by radeon View Post

I don't know why they didn't make Cinnamon an Extension to Gnome Shell. However, it's the same pattern we see in other fields, too. Take all those Window Managers or Environments like XFCE...
        XFCE has its roots in CDE, it wasn't a waste of manpower at all, it is among very few DEs (if not only) that JustWorks(TM) and is stable.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
          I dont want to start flamewar, but to me Cinnamon is what GNOME should have been. Clean slick and logical desktop. I didnt feel any slowness comparing to GNOME.
          Too classical for my tastes. We have tons of them and I can't find compelling reasons to use it over XFCE which is rock stable. For guys like me, who consider titlebars, panels and taskbars, completely useless, Gnome is the way to go. If it only was faster and less memory hungry... but a man can dream...
          Last edited by Apopas; 16 March 2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I liked older DEs, but gnome2 seems bit dated now and Unity/Gnome3 are bit too much for me (also not easily controlable with keyboard only). Hence why I still use good old awesome/i3 on my boxes, even though one of these days I will probably migrate to sway (once wayland works on nvidia properly, unfortunately sway mainstream is heavily against nvidia with eglstreams).

I guess im stuck with X, unless somebody comes with nvidia compatible tiling manager for wayland :[

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

I'm using Mint Cinnamon started from 17 series to this very day with 18.3

Never experienced freeze or something like that. Only one time , Cinnamon crashed and when i removed incompatible add-on it's gone too.
              I believe you, but I'm one of the unlucky guys with a Nvidia card in my laptop which seems to be the culprit for this crashes, as this bug report suggests:
              I have sporadic freezes with Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64, only the mouse pointer can move. I can switch to another terminal. Programs keep running, music keeps playing (until the next song), just int...

Comment

Will XFCE be compatible with new applications?
                I wonder how do, performance wise, Cinnamon and XFCE compare.

Comment

I'm using Linux Mint 18.3.
                  My questions are:
                  1. If I move to XFCE, will I notice better performance? Significant reduction of resource usage?
                  2. Does XFCE compatible with all applications I'm running on Cinnamon?

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                    Don't want to begin a holy war, but I've opened PR, saw Javascript and facepalmed.

Then I opened Cinnamon repo stats - 46.3% of code is Javascript. Double facepalmed.

And then we wonder why software becomes slower and slower while consuming more and more resources.
                    Those who don't understand good engineering are doomed to bitch about JavaScript.

There's nothing inherently wrong with using JavaScript and it can be plenty fast enough, as long as its aided by an efficient runtime written in C/C++/Rust/any other lower level language.
                    Separation of concerns is a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      I wish they would fix the Cinnamon freezing problem.
                      It's been more than a year and it's still freezing every 10 or 20 minutes.
                      You using AMDGPU driver? I have a Radeon HD 7850 and when I tried the AMDGPU driver, Cinnamon would freeze often. But I have a GCN 1.0 graphics card, so I attributed it to AMDGPU not being ready for these older graphic cards.

**EDIT**

Nevermind, I saw you're using an Nvidia GPU.
                      Last edited by Dukenukemx; 17 March 2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X