Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dsreyes1014
    replied
    Liking/disliking Touchwiz is personal opinion. I'm happy with my S8's Touchwiz and feel it's more than enough for my workflow and it has improved in performance as well (my opinion.). As for EFL I've read from numerous dev's that showed interest in it stopped at just glancing at the API stating it was/is horrendous. Docs were not that easy to follow either. Hopefully 2.0 solves that.

Leave a comment:

• brrrrttttt
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I have a Samsung TV. The software on it (Tizen) is horrible. No experience with TouchWiz.

But I take it you have no idea what EFL is? Let me tell you then: EFL is a set of libraries/toolkit. That's NOT the same as end-user software like TouchWiz or Tizen.
    I realize that. Their general shoddiness doesn't bode well for either.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post

I take it you haven't actually used Samsung software, e.g. TouchWiz. It's horrible.
    I have a Samsung TV. The software on it (Tizen) is horrible. No experience with TouchWiz.

But I take it you have no idea what EFL is? Let me tell you then: EFL is a set of libraries/toolkit. That's NOT the same as end-user software like TouchWiz or Tizen.

Leave a comment:

• brrrrttttt
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

EFL is mostly developed by Samsung. I think Samsung knows a thing or two about the real world given that they're one of the largest tech companies in the world, or at least one of the biggest phone and TV manufacturers...
    I take it you haven't actually used Samsung software, e.g. TouchWiz. It's horrible.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by faldzip View Post
    To be honest I was thinking that EFL2 might become something usable but then read sentence about EFL1 backwards compatibility and my hope was gone...

And if you think EFL guys know how real world things work then search for EFL thread on dailywtf. Then you will know their real world is in some galaxy far far away...
    EFL is mostly developed by Samsung. I think Samsung knows a thing or two about the real world given that they're one of the largest tech companies in the world, or at least one of the biggest phone and TV manufacturers...
    Last edited by Vistaus; 16 March 2018, 12:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by trek View Post

the news story and the commenter are talking about ABI compatibility (not API) between major version of EFL, a thing that is not possible with QT as you explain

how many libraries maintains a strict ABI compatibility? not much, but at first the libc and the opengl libraries, then some well written library like:

if you check instead something about gtk or qt you will see many api breaks not only between major version but also minor:

https://abi-laboratory.pro/tracker/timeline/qt/
    No the commenter was SPECIFICALLY talking about APIs read the OP again. What the news is talking about is not entirely coherent with whatVasant1234 was babbling on about, with delusions surrounding "dere's cweawy a noo tule ket, nut uh ABI bweak uf duh owld wun hurr durr durr" and yeah, GTK and GNOME don't care about backwards compatibility that's why I wasn't defending them, and was talking only of Qt and KDE, and mostly about Qt. Yes the ABI compatibility isn't perfect, but for a project that has ~8 million LOC, is a 22 year old codebase, is written in C++, and has 335 contributors a year, and has a fraction of a percent of a break says everything we need to know about the misinformation being pushed out by him.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by dkasak View Post

That thread has been thoroughly discredited, here ( possibly multiple times, from memory ), and in other places too.
    Citations? I tried digging into it last time I was told that but everything I dug up only seemed to reinforce it.

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    Buy can they make it less UGLY?

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    Originally posted by faldzip View Post
    To be honest I was thinking that EFL2 might become something usable but then read sentence about EFL1 backwards compatibility and my hope was gone...

And if you think EFL guys know how real world things work then search for EFL thread on dailywtf. Then you will know their real world is in some galaxy far far away...
    That thread has been thoroughly discredited, here ( possibly multiple times, from memory ), and in other places too. What kind of applications do you develop, out of interest? Got some work on github?

Leave a comment:

• brrrrttttt
    replied
    What makes Qt's ABI compatibility so impressive is that it's a __C++ API__, with ABI compatibility over a _large_ number of compilers from different vendors, with all manner of ABI breaking compiler bugs to work around. EFL do not even have to consider most of these issues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X