Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 60 Is In Beta With Web Authentication & Policy Engine Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Firefox 60 Is In Beta With Web Authentication & Policy Engine Support

    Phoronix: Firefox 60 Is In Beta With Web Authentication & Policy Engine Support

    With Firefox 59 having shipped that means Firefox 60 is now officially in beta...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Beta-Features

  • torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Cape View Post
    Now I see the master plan!

    USB smart card auth + DRM protected content = cable TV right down your throat!!

    Wanna see Netflix? Buy a smartcard at your local store!

    Thanks Mozilla for providing "safe", "open" and "privacy respecting" browser.
    Truly freedom heroes.
    Firefox sucks. Switched to Chromium years ago. I tried a recent release, and... no thanks. Their web site seems infected with SJW activism as well... another reason to avoid the Turd of Moz.

    Leave a comment:


  • edgmnt
    replied
    Hm, I wasn't aware of the authentication stuff. A nice usecase immediately springs to mind: authenticate users seamlessly with a password manager. Instead of an actual password, it could be something stronger that can't easily be typed in, perhaps using public keys. Password forms just suck.

    Leave a comment:


  • Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I usually just copy the profile folder over. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...refox-profiles

    everything is copied over if I do that, plugins, settings, passwords, whatever.
    Thanks. I'll have to do that for the other five family members too, but it's undoubtedly less work than going through and recreating their setups by hand.

    Leave a comment:


  • marco-c
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    I might take the new policies.json feature for a spin. I don't install a new operating system that often, but when I do it's tedious to go into about:config and change half a dozen settings, download the Privacy Badger add-on, change the default search engine, and so forth. It would be nice to just set up the file once and then dump it into place on new installs.

    I'm sure I've said it before, but one of my big annoyances are the prompts to share location and enable desktop notifications. I want location shared and desktop notifications from about 3% of the websites I visit, so for the other 97% of sites that little pop-up prompt is just a waste of screen space.
    The latest version of Firefox allows you to disable the prompts for all websites except the ones you want. It's in the Preferences somewhere.

    Leave a comment:


  • starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    I might take the new policies.json feature for a spin. I don't install a new operating system that often, but when I do it's tedious to go into about:config and change half a dozen settings, download the Privacy Badger add-on, change the default search engine, and so forth. It would be nice to just set up the file once and then dump it into place on new installs.

    I'm sure I've said it before, but one of my big annoyances are the prompts to share location and enable desktop notifications. I want location shared and desktop notifications from about 3% of the websites I visit, so for the other 97% of sites that little pop-up prompt is just a waste of screen space.
    I usually just copy the profile folder over. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...refox-profiles

    everything is copied over if I do that, plugins, settings, passwords, whatever.

    Leave a comment:


  • Michael_S
    replied
    I might take the new policies.json feature for a spin. I don't install a new operating system that often, but when I do it's tedious to go into about:config and change half a dozen settings, download the Privacy Badger add-on, change the default search engine, and so forth. It would be nice to just set up the file once and then dump it into place on new installs.

    I'm sure I've said it before, but one of my big annoyances are the prompts to share location and enable desktop notifications. I want location shared and desktop notifications from about 3% of the websites I visit, so for the other 97% of sites that little pop-up prompt is just a waste of screen space.

    Leave a comment:


  • starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Cape View Post
    Now I see the master plan!

    USB smart card auth + DRM protected content = cable TV right down your throat!!

    Wanna see Netflix? Buy a smartcard at your local store!

    Thanks Mozilla for providing "safe", "open" and "privacy respecting" browser.
    Truly freedom heroes.
    I'm unsure about what is your point here.

    Even if some DRM started to require smartcard auth what does that have to do with Firefox not being "safe" or "open" or "privacy respecting" anymore?

    Leave a comment:


  • unixfan2001
    replied
    Originally posted by Cape View Post
    Now I see the master plan!

    USB smart card auth + DRM protected content = cable TV right down your throat!!

    Wanna see Netflix? Buy a smartcard at your local store!

    Thanks Mozilla for providing "safe", "open" and "privacy respecting" browser.
    Truly freedom heroes.
    The fuck are you talking about?

    The USB authentication is for things like GitHub or intranet sites where private keys/2-step verification can be used to log in.
    Smartcards and DRM are an entirely different subject, entirely.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cape
    replied
    Now I see the master plan!

    USB smart card auth + DRM protected content = cable TV right down your throat!!

    Wanna see Netflix? Buy a smartcard at your local store!

    Thanks Mozilla for providing "safe", "open" and "privacy respecting" browser.
    Truly freedom heroes.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X