GNOME 3.28 Is Being Released This Next Week With Many Features & Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

That's the page where I was also looking initially.
    Can you please be more specific where you've seen gnome 3.28 mentioned there?
    scroll down the page an you'll see Upstream Project Schedules

then click on Gnome Schedule , every Gnome Release comes with every Fedora release, it's a Gnome centric Distro . , they usually have it listed here https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/28/ChangeSet but Fedora Wiki's are useless, even babies cant keep it up to date

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      What? Could you describe better what is this?
      It's the possibility to put files and folders on your desktop. This feature is removed in nautilus 3.28. Ubuntu 18.04 (and possibly other distros) will ship GNOME 3.28 but Nautilus will be kept at version 3.26 precisely for this reason, until either a.) it's re-implemented for Nautilus 3.28, or b.) there is some suitable replacement that provides support for files on the desktop, in the form of a Gnome Shell extension or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It's the possibility to put files and folders on your desktop. This feature is removed in nautilus 3.28. Ubuntu 18.04 (and possibly other distros) will ship GNOME 3.28 but Nautilus will be kept at version 3.26 precisely for this reason, until either a.) it's re-implemented for Nautilus 3.28, or b.) there is some suitable replacement that provides support for files on the desktop, in the form of a Gnome Shell extension or otherwise.
        i thought there was an extension that could do that? if there is i dont remember the name of it, if your a Debian/Ubuntu user i would ask Jeremy Bircha, he'd prolly know

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I feel like you and I are the only ones who speak about this major issue. Xorg it is.
          Huh, I didn't know about this, pretty crazy.

I looked it up, here is the bug regarding this issue: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=781296

(cc Brisse )

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

i thought there was an extension that could do that? if there is i dont remember the name of it, if your a Debian/Ubuntu user i would ask Jeremy Bircha, he'd prolly know
            I vaguely remember seeing something like that but I think that extension is nowhere ready for prime time yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post
              Waiting for SSD support in Mutter on Wayland, so we can finally start recommending people to use and write for Wayland.
              that would be recommending for mutter, not for wayland. but typical ssd proponent is too stupid to understand trivial things

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                I feel like you and I are the only ones who speak about this major issue.
                locking to 60hz and stuttering like hell is not nice. you can count me in

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post
                  Waiting for SSD support in Mutter on Wayland, so we can finally start recommending people to use and write for Wayland.
                  It's not clear what you mean here. I just tried a gnome/wayland session, and launched an app that assumes SSD, and it worked fine. As for your advice for people to start using and writing for wayland ... wow ... you must be a real mover-and-shaker. I'm impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Previously the desktop was handled by Nautilus. Gnome devs think Nautilus is a file manager, not a desktop manager, so they're moving the functionality to a different package (not dropping it). People are making a fuss about it because boohoo Gnome 3 ermahgerd, whine, whine.
                    Imagine if a distro shipped it with... SYSTEMD!!! OMG wah wah, pure evil, world is ending, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoatally View Post
                      Nautilus has been undergoing a major rewrite for a few years now, part of this work involves developing new versions of the list and icon views so that they are faster and make better use of space. Nautilus also provided the desktop icons under GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 if you went and enabled it in the tweak tool, this was done by using some Xorg specific hacks and as a result the code has not been maintained for years.
                      Yep, that pretty much covers it – they're trying to clean up their code, and that means dropping a feature that's not enabled on Gnome, not used or supported by any of the Nautilus developers, and which has no possible future under Wayland. It's acknowledged that some people do value that feature, but the official view is that any replacement must be a feature of the desktop itself (probably via a shell plugin), not of the file manager.

Comment

Working...
                      X