No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.13 Getting GTK Global Menu Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish Debian would package plasma-browser-integration. And personally - it's a pity Gnome now got a huge user share from Ubuntu. They should have picked KDE as default.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      I wish Debian would package plasma-browser-integration. And personally - it's a pity Gnome now got a huge user share from Ubuntu. They should have picked KDE as default.
      I hate KDE. It's cluttered with too many unuseful settings everywhere, so that the important things hide well all the time and can't be found. KDE has this messy implement a choice, even if nobody cares. If you ever find your preference, Plasma crashes. Ubuntu did the right choice, and they deserve my credits for that.

Comment

I've been on KDE for about a month now (migrating from Gnome) and to me it seems that KDE is sitting on solid foundations but is lacking some polish at the high level. I had to do a lot of tweaks and configurations to get it to look the way I want it to. I also had to replace some of its apps with Gnome ones (Nautilus, Gedit), and I had to isntall nocsd for GTK apps to look ok, though not as nice as they look on Gnome.
        On the other hand Gnome feels like the exact opposite, very polished look but sitting on weak foundation (sluggish animations, high cpu usage, JS & CSS, etc).

I think KDE should now put most of their focus on polish, and on getting proper support for CSD (I know, it's supported, but apps look out of place without the shadows that SSD apps have). If they do they'll start gaining a lot of market share I think.

Comment

Is this developed on Wayland? There is no word in the blog post about the status.

Hmm the most annoying issue of Gtk at the moment is that they broke CSD, it suggests CSD even if not possible, so for now there are no window decoration for e.g. LibreOffice anymore on Plasma-Wayland 5.12 . https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=792889

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            I've been on KDE for about a month now (migrating from Gnome) and to me it seems that KDE is sitting on solid foundations but is lacking some polish at the high level. I had to do a lot of tweaks and configurations to get it to look the way I want it to. I also had to replace some of its apps with Gnome ones (Nautilus, Gedit), and I had to isntall nocsd for GTK apps to look ok, though not as nice as they look on Gnome.
            On the other hand Gnome feels like the exact opposite, very polished look but sitting on weak foundation (sluggish animations, high cpu usage, JS & CSS, etc).

I think KDE should now put most of their focus on polish, and on getting proper support for CSD (I know, it's supported, but apps look out of place without the shadows that SSD apps have). If they do they'll start gaining a lot of market share I think.
            I agree with this. And this has been the situation for a long time.

KDE: Terrific frameworks, solid, lots of features, but terrible usability.
            Gnome: smelly code, somewhat limited, but so much more user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              LibreOffice is not a GTK application

It also uses GTK acording to the wiki.

Comment

I also had to replace some of its apps with Gnome ones (Nautilus, Gedit), and I had to isntall nocsd for GTK apps to look ok, though not as nice as they look on Gnome.
                No offense but I cannot believe you would pick Nautilus over KDE's dolphin. It's one of the biggest reasons why I can't do gnome on a daily driver system.

Comment

Originally posted by rycodge View Post

No offense but I cannot believe you would pick Nautilus over KDE's dolphin. It's one of the biggest reasons why I can't do gnome on a daily driver system.
                  Yeah, I really feel handicapped as well when using Nautilus. Some KDE apps are waaay better, some GNOME apps are pretty good too... KDE lacks some polish on a few things (due to its smaller adoption too). Well. This choice is still a pain in the *** AFAIK

Comment

I share your conclusions, and luckily, that's exactly what we're doing! https://phabricator.kde.org/T6831

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

I share your conclusions, and luckily, that's exactly what we're doing! https://phabricator.kde.org/T6831
                      I checked that ticket. The first sentence nearly overloaded my manager-speak meter.

Comment

Working...
                      X