X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dcrdev
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

What does that mean in this context? I'm not the copywrite holder or the producer of any content. "Yours" and "Mine" has no meaning in this. Where a file is located doesn't give possession or ownership.
    That doesn't matter - lets not get into the whole copyright debate.

Point is Kodi's primary purpose is not to provide you with streaming media, it's primary purpose is to facilitate you being able to organise and play back content residing on your local hard drive or network. Addons are a supplementary benefit and it's very clear that the stance of the Kodi developers is not to support or endorse addons with (shall we say) questionable legality, they have said this many times, they have also said they wouldn't bat an eyelid if everyone who used Kodi for this purpose suddenly ditched it.

So fundamentally to call something crap because it doesn't idiot proof the already easy method of adding functionality that it was never intended to be used for, is well... just plain incorrect. You should really be directing your criticisms towards addon developers who have not had the foresight to develop their own media centre from scratch... oh wait that would be ridiculous .

Leave a comment:

• ParticleBoard
    replied
    Google assistant? Are you fucking kidding me? I go out of my way to keep the "do no evil" serial-liars google and the like off as much of my stuff as possible and they added it into kodi now? Are the devs that insane?

I haven't use v18 yet but I'll bet it will have some blob on there (or downloads one quietly) that does the GA and we'll catch it very quickly sending a dump of the entire hd contents back to google's servers. The content will be the entire hd not just media. Google will of course play it off initially as a bug but people will start reverse engineering the code and see that it was clearly intentional. Google will "apologize" in their own special way but at no point will they ever delete their ill-gotten metadata off their servers let alone claim to. They will drag it out just long enough so that only the most Stallman types will still be raving about it. At that point everyone else will be tired hearing about it and just ignore it. Chrome all over again.

It's the same script over and over. It's all so tiring. But a special fuck you to Kodi for allowing their tentacles in the door and ruining an otherwise popular, long-standing and great project.

inb4 someone doesn't understand what a prediction is and points out it hasn't happened yet...

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    you missed the word "your".

return and process again.
    What does that mean in this context? I'm not the copywrite holder or the producer of any content. "Yours" and "Mine" has no meaning in this. Where a file is located doesn't give possession or ownership.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    you missed the word "your".

return and process again.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by dcrdev View Post
    duby229 you seem to be missing the point, I wasn't suggesting that I particularly care how you get your content. But rather was taking exception to the fact your calling Kodi crap because it doesn't provide that content for you.

Kodi is fundamentally a media centre focused around your content i.e. you provide it, the fact that all these 3rd party addons exist has no bearing on the core project. People like you who equate Kodi = Free Content are bringing the project down.

To reiterate I don't give 2 sh**s where you source your content from, but stop dumping it in with Kodi itself.
    Then what is the point in providing addons? If you don't give 2 shits about content then why develop a media center interface at all? Isn't content the -entire- point?

EDIT: The simple matter of fact is that we live in an interconnected age. It happened. All Movies, All Music, All TV Shows are available within seconds to anyone anywhere in the world. Its already done.
    Last edited by duby229; 05 March 2018, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ravenet
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I just don't see how it can work for you, the standard configuration has basically zero content. No top tier movies or music or tv shows or games. Nothing. It comes preconfigured with some very arcane addons that have zero interesting content.
    I get the feeling you're complaining about the 'difficulty' in finding the piracy addons. Boo hoo
    The built in repository has tons of addons for useful and non-piracy related stuff.

As dcrdev mentioned, Kodi isn't a content provider, they are a media player. You don't expect microsoft windows media player or mplayer to provide you free tv shows and movies, kodi is the same. It's a very fancy, and customizable media player, that can play media you provide it, or though various legitimate streaming sources.
    Some people developed addons to connect to the pirated content streams, but that is not Kodi's responsibility to provide for you, nor do they want you to do so. There are other ways to acquire media and play it through kodi, or any other media player for that matter, that isn't so blatantly obvious in it's contradiction to legality

Leave a comment:

• dcrdev
    replied
    duby229 you seem to be missing the point, I wasn't suggesting that I particularly care how you get your content. But rather was taking exception to the fact your calling Kodi crap because it doesn't provide that content for you.

Kodi is fundamentally a media centre focused around your content i.e. you provide it, the fact that all these 3rd party addons exist has no bearing on the core project. People like you who equate Kodi = Free Content are bringing the project down.

To reiterate I don't give 2 sh**s where you source your content from, but stop dumping it in with Kodi itself.
    Last edited by dcrdev; 05 March 2018, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

Uh? I very rarely need anything from the repositories for basic use. And then, the default repositories have covered every ones of my needs. Everyone can contribute to them, as far as I know, as long as the add-ons respect the policies and licensing requirements. Of am I missing something? Could you be a bit more specific?
    I can get not liking kodi, but I was not expecting this reason to be brought up.
    I just don't see how it can work for you, the standard configuration has basically zero content. No top tier movies or music or tv shows or games. Nothing. It comes preconfigured with some very arcane addons that have zero interesting content.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by dcrdev View Post

No 'average' user can figure out how to download a repository package, select and install it from the menu? The bar for 'average' must have really been lowered, if that is considered "complex" .

A bit like the Official repo, that is installed by default and that anyone CAN contribute to? Or is your issue more with the fact that it does not include your favourite illegal streaming addons? Which is not what Kodi is about!
    That's your opinion and I suspect you're highly alone in it. And unenforceable BS is unenforceable BS. Period. Who decides what is illegal? It for -DAMN SURE- is not the RIAA or the MPAA. If they had their way -nobody- would have -any- entertainment. Let them F-ing rot, they will rot whether they like it or not.

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    Kodi 18 will have support for Google Assistant? Makes me want to use Mycroft!
    A Kodi search and playback skill for Mycroft AI. Contribute to Cadair/mycroft-kodi development by creating an account on GitHub.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X