Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodi 18 "Leia" Enters Alpha With Thousands Of Changes

Phoronix: Kodi 18 "Leia" Enters Alpha With Thousands Of Changes

Kodi, the popular HTPC software formerly known as XBMC, has put out the first alpha release of their upcoming 18 Leia milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Kodi 18 is a big update coming later in 2018"

Do you mean "later", as in not quite yet?
    Or "later", as in second half of the year?

I've been trying to get an sense of when 18 is due, given that most major releases arrive in Feb-May timeframe...

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
      "Kodi 18 is a big update coming later in 2018"

Do you mean "later", as in not quite yet?
      Or "later", as in second half of the year?

I've been trying to get an sense of when 18 is due, given that most major releases arrive in Feb-May timeframe...
      They have so far only publicly indicated some time in 2018.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I sure hope it's more stable than 17 (Krypton). I went back to 16 (Jarvis) because 17 is so crash happy it makes a train wreck seem mild, that's on Windows and Linux! A few parts of it have been re-written according to the 18 changelog so hopefully they have been sorting it out.
        I may give the nightly a try at some point and see how it's progressing.

Comment

This might finally be the release when I get to use it on my Utilite Pro hopefully on Wayland but otherwise on the framebuffer. I've been testing it out now and then but video was still broken last time I tried. I've been told to expect good things in April so maybe that's when they plan to release.

Comment

Yeah, not a fan of Kodi. The whole repo thing for addons is too complex for average users. The whole purpose for addons is so people use what they want, but no average user can figure it out. It sucks ass. Hard. Kodi -needs- to host a standard repo which anybody can contribute addons to, that end users can configure graphically without having to putz around with third party url's that mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Yeah, not a fan of Kodi. The whole repo thing for addons is too complex for average users. The whole purpose for addons is so people use what they want, but no average user can figure it out. It sucks ass. Hard. Kodi -needs- to host a standard repo which anybody can contribute addons to, that end users can configure graphically without having to putz around with third party url's that mean nothing.
              Uh? I very rarely need anything from the repositories for basic use. And then, the default repositories have covered every ones of my needs. Everyone can contribute to them, as far as I know, as long as the add-ons respect the policies and licensing requirements. Of am I missing something? Could you be a bit more specific?
              I can get not liking kodi, but I was not expecting this reason to be brought up.

Comment

Yeah, not a fan of Kodi. The whole repo thing for addons is too complex for average users. The whole purpose for addons is so people use what they want, but no average user can figure it out. It sucks ass.
                No 'average' user can figure out how to download a repository package, select and install it from the menu? The bar for 'average' must have really been lowered, if that is considered "complex" .

Hard. Kodi -needs- to host a standard repo which anybody can contribute addons to, that end users can configure graphically without having to putz around with third party url's that mean nothing.
                A bit like the Official repo, that is installed by default and that anyone CAN contribute to? Or is your issue more with the fact that it does not include your favourite illegal streaming addons? Which is not what Kodi is about!

Comment

Kodi 18 will have support for Google Assistant? Makes me want to use Mycroft!
                  A Kodi search and playback skill for Mycroft AI. Contribute to Cadair/mycroft-kodi development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by dcrdev View Post

No 'average' user can figure out how to download a repository package, select and install it from the menu? The bar for 'average' must have really been lowered, if that is considered "complex" .

A bit like the Official repo, that is installed by default and that anyone CAN contribute to? Or is your issue more with the fact that it does not include your favourite illegal streaming addons? Which is not what Kodi is about!
                    That's your opinion and I suspect you're highly alone in it. And unenforceable BS is unenforceable BS. Period. Who decides what is illegal? It for -DAMN SURE- is not the RIAA or the MPAA. If they had their way -nobody- would have -any- entertainment. Let them F-ing rot, they will rot whether they like it or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X