Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 6.1 Getting GTK3 Native Message Dialogs

Phoronix: LibreOffice 6.1 Getting GTK3 Native Message Dialogs

Caolán McNamara continues doing a great job at improving the GTK3 interface for the LibreOffice open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to it. The Image Preview in GTK3 Chooser is one of the features that make GTK3 a "must have".

I actually spend time making sure I have minimal GTK2 apps to the point that I custom build Inkscape, Gimp, Thunar and other apps to have a consistent professional appearance.

I am thrilled to learn that sublime-text-dev is now using GTK3 and I can hide the menu bar entirely.

GTK3 office suite is a compelling selling point for me.

Theming in CSS and SASS in GTK3 is so much nicer IMO -- I can apply styles globally or individually with ease (I am working on widdling down a 10,000 lines of Arc code so I can build a from the ground up theme and @import the old code as "theme-legacy.css"

Having a unified interface is really important to me.

Comment

Platform integration is a big value add, as little as people tend to think about it.

Comment

Any word on KIO integration for the Plasma desktop? I'm looking forward to this for my files on SMB shares.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          Looking forward to it. The Image Preview in GTK3 Chooser is one of the features that make GTK3 a "must have".

I actually spend time making sure I have minimal GTK2 apps to the point that I custom build Inkscape, Gimp, Thunar and other apps to have a consistent professional appearance.
          Wait, Inkscape can build against GTK3 now? I'd better check that out!

Comment

Personally, I'm a big fan of GTK+ 3.x, especially now the API is fixed and stable at 3.22. I haven't spent a long time using Gnome, but I like the aesthetic of that too. I appreciate that they are investing time simplifying the UI, making it suitable for touch screens (I have one), creating a clean look and trying to free up screen space (eg via CSD header bars). I like that LibreOffice is getting nicely integrated with this stuff.

I'm with this first 2 posters. For whatever reason, it really does make a positive difference when everything is well integrated and has a consistent look. I tend to avoid KDE/QT apps simply because they don't fit in with my mostly-GTK+3.x desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              Personally, I'm a big fan of GTK+ 3.x, especially now the API is fixed and stable at 3.22. I haven't spent a long time using Gnome, but I like the aesthetic of that too. I appreciate that they are investing time simplifying the UI, making it suitable for touch screens (I have one), creating a clean look and trying to free up screen space (eg via CSD header bars). I like that LibreOffice is getting nicely integrated with this stuff.

I'm with this first 2 posters. For whatever reason, it really does make a positive difference when everything is well integrated and has a consistent look. I tend to avoid KDE/QT apps simply because they don't fit in with my mostly-GTK+3.x desktop.
              I literally walk into multi-million dollar businesses and have a touch only laptop (Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16) Touch improvements are very welcome for me.

I think it's very important for my apps to have consistency because it gives off the professional look that I am trying to sell if I ever have to explain that I am using a mac-like system that very few people know about but has many work advantages.

Having a combo of old and new Qt and GTK apps screams unprofessionalism like I'm some elementary school child playing with crayons.

I have been able to mostly free myself of apps that use the older interfaces.

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post

Wait, Inkscape can build against GTK3 now? I'd better check that out!
              I use the AUR package inkscape-git [AUR]
              I confirmed via GTK Inspector that it's GTK3, it's pretty nice to change the app theme live using the GTK Inspector, Icon theme, etc... to see how it can get dressed up.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence of other stuff I added and removed from a recent update, but I found that LO 6.0.2 no longer has window decorations with my KDE+Wayland setup. In addition to that, it crashes easily and I can't paste anything. However, I found that if I run it via XWayland, everything works fine. LO traditionally ran in XWayland and worked fine, so it's a bit off-putting that it isn't working anymore. I hope 6.1 has more Wayland fixes, assuming this is related to that.

So far, LO and Audacity are the only programs I run that have this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I'm not sure if this is a coincidence of other stuff I added and removed from a recent update, but I found that LO 6.0.2 no longer has window decorations with my KDE+Wayland setup. In addition to that, it crashes easily and I can't paste anything. However, I found that if I run it via XWayland, everything works fine. LO traditionally ran in XWayland and worked fine, so it's a bit off-putting that it isn't working anymore. I hope 6.1 has more Wayland fixes, assuming this is related to that.

So far, LO and Audacity are the only programs I run that have this problem.
                  This is a Gtk bug https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=792889. It is really annoying, now Plasma-Wayland 5.12 supports xdg shell v6 but Gtk does some crazy things.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    Platform integration is a big value add, as little as people tend to think about it.
                    It's not that I disagree with that but judging from the pic provided in the blog it looks uglier and less functional (since it lacks the "x" button which I think is not the same thing -codewise- as the "cancel" or "don't save" options in cases for example where libre office hangs or loops for some reason "x" should still work while the other buttons wouldn't, obviously there are workarounds like terminating the process etc but still I think its convenient to have an "x" and I hate all the effort/fad in the late years to stupid down things that appears to posses modern programs (called apps now) which, as far as office suits go, started with ms office since they started porting it to macs...

Making things simple is ok.. but oversimplifying them to the point that the functions and user XP loses (one or more) functionality, detail, redundancy and coherence is not welcomed in my book and unfortunately we are heading to that direction...

It has to look cool without necessarily be complete or comprehensive

or make some very simple stuff more accessible (by sacrificing the accessibility/functionality etc of advanced stuff)
                    Last edited by papajo; 05 March 2018, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X