LibreOffice 6.1 Getting GTK3 Native Message Dialogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

I literally walk into multi-million dollar businesses and have a touch only laptop (Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16) Touch improvements are very welcome for me.

I think it's very important for my apps to have consistency because it gives off the professional look that I am trying to sell if I ever have to explain that I am using a mac-like system that very few people know about but has many work advantages.

Having a combo of old and new Qt and GTK apps screams unprofessionalism like I'm some elementary school child playing with crayons.

I have been able to mostly free myself of apps that use the older interfaces.

I use the AUR package inkscape-git [AUR]
    I confirmed via GTK Inspector that it's GTK3, it's pretty nice to change the app theme live using the GTK Inspector, Icon theme, etc... to see how it can get dressed up.
    I understand the rationale behind these decisions, however I cannot help but feel that it really is a result of trying to accommodate badly designed software.

I very much prefer the KDE Plasma approach that lets you theme GTK2, GTK3 and KDE applications... to the same appearance, if you wish.
    Although sadly, there are only 4-5 themes that fit all three to my knowledge.
    You can also theme applications not using your desktop's own toolkit on other DEs as well, but not out-of-othe-box.

I think we need more cross-toolkit themes, styles and icon packs with cross-toolkit theming support available out-of-the-box, not GTK- or Qt-only desktops. Having to choose between pieces of software because of the toolkit used is a very stupid (but valid) issue.

Comment

Wait a minute, there is no possible way that LO can remove so many widgets that its dialogs are two/thirds of the screen and 99% empty space..... What are GTK devs gonna do? It's not really gonna be possible for them to make pointless giant oversized empty dialogs the way GTK devs prefer.
      Last edited by duby229; 05 March 2018, 08:05 AM.

Comment

"Proper theming" and "GTK3" in the same sentence? Something’s wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by papajo View Post

It's not that I disagree with that but judging from the pic provided in the blog it looks uglier and less functional (since it lacks the "x" button which I think is not the same thing -codewise- as the "cancel" or "don't save" options in cases for example where libre office hangs or loops for some reason "x" should still work while the other buttons wouldn't, obviously there are workarounds like terminating the process etc but still I think its convenient to have an "x" and I hate all the effort/fad in the late years to stupid down things that appears to posses modern programs (called apps now) which, as far as office suits go, started with ms office since they started porting it to macs...

Making things simple is ok.. but oversimplifying them to the point that the functions and user XP loses (one or more) functionality, detail, redundancy and coherence is not welcomed in my book and unfortunately we are heading to that direction...

It has to look cool without necessarily be complete or comprehensive

or make some very simple stuff more accessible (by sacrificing the accessibility/functionality etc of advanced stuff)
          Idunno, I think having larger buttons for something that people who use mice are likely to want to click frequently make sense. The amount of time it takes to click something is inversely related to its size.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Idunno, I think having larger buttons for something that people who use mice are likely to want to click frequently make sense. The amount of time it takes to click something is inversely related to its size.
            Yes but as everything else in life there is a silver lining which after passing it you get diminishing returns or even make the experience worse.

Bigger buttons are better but there is a point in which making them more big just doesn't help anything and makes things worse.

(think of it as sugar in coffee the more more you put in starting from 0 sugar the better it gets but there is an upper limit where the coffee starts to become sweeter than it should and an other point where the coffee stops being a coffee but a disgusting sugar mix with caffeine)

I also comment more on the anesthetics and functionality in general and was not focused on the specific size of the buttons per se... what I mean is that I did not like the look of that "window" which looked like a comic bubble and the colors and the lack of the "x" button etc.

Comment

I think it's an issue of being big enough to see and work with, and that's scale issue. But too big is a usability issue which GTK and especially gnome apps themselves suffer from extremely badly. And then all of the constant theme and color scheme breakages make it soooo much worse. Most gnome apps are mostly empty space and gigantic, and with waaaaay oversized widgets. The way it's designed is for like a 3 inch screen. It's completely retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by papajo View Post
                Bigger buttons are better but there is a point in which making them more big just doesn't help anything and makes things worse.
                How exactly, in this case, does it make things worse? I think the only reason they're not larger is that it would look kinda ridiculous. It's a modal, so it's not as though it's blocking anything out.

They could wire up the "Cancel" correctly to address your other concern.

Comment

Working...
                X