Plasma Volume Widget Can Now Transfer Audio Streams Between Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma Volume Widget Can Now Transfer Audio Streams Between Devices

Phoronix: Plasma Volume Widget Can Now Transfer Audio Streams Between Devices

Development on KDE Plasma 5.13, KDE Applications 18.04, and KDE Frameworks 5.44 continues at full-speed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The audio stream can already be transferred in Plasma 5.12 by long-pressing and dragging the application to another audio source. With 5.13 it's just more accessible by adding an explicit option.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerii View Post
      The audio stream can already be transferred in Plasma 5.12 by long-pressing and dragging the application to another audio source. With 5.13 it's just more accessible by adding an explicit option.
      It could already be transferred for a loooong time, not just in 5.12

Comment

Well, there's a bad design choice from a discoverability standpoint. Why would anyone try a long press outside the context of substituting for right-click in touch-screen UIs?

The convention for desktops is to leverage the mouse's greater precision and hover tracking to have a visible drag handle with a change to the cursor to indicate "you can drag this".
        Last edited by ssokolow; 04 March 2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Short press is sufficient. When you hover over the individual apps icon, you get a "grab" mouse cursor.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Well, there's a bad design choice from a discoverability standpoint. Why would anyone try a long press outside the context of substituting for right-click in touch-screen UIs?

The convention for desktops is to leverage the mouse's greater precision and hover tracking to have a visible drag handle with a change to the cursor to indicate "you can drag this".
            Yeah, I don't get it either. I mean: people keep complaining about GNOME focusing too much on touch screen UI's, but it seems like KDE pulled a GNOME stunt in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              I almost switched to Budgie just because their desktop widget has radio buttons for default audio output AND audio input devices. Still needed pavucontrol to change profiles -- seems high fidelity is never the default for audio sink -- and to output to different devices on a per-app basis, though.
              I am not sure to which radio buttons you are referring to, but the volume control widget I have here, I can set the default device per direction.
              The profile can be changed in the settings - reachable either via right mouse click on the widget/loudspeaker icon, or by clicking the settings button in the opened widget. The output device per stream/application can be changed for quite some time, as already said, and is remembered per application.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yeah, I don't get it either. I mean: people keep complaining about GNOME focusing too much on touch screen UI's, but it seems like KDE pulled a GNOME stunt in this case.
                That's why there's another option now, I guess.

Comment

This option was already present in KDE4 . It's just when they moved to KDE 5, they created a new UI for wudo controls, which didn't have this option. Now they've brought it back.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Mouse over the program icon and the cursor changes to a hand. I believe it's how I originally discovered the feature.

It didn't work for a while in 5.12 but it's working in 5.12.2.

Comment

Working...
                    X