No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 3.3 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really they should apply CUSTOM workaround for specific titles instead of excluding all the majorly beneficial patches in the staging branch. I hear default Wine 3.3 is a slow messy crawl without the staging patches, but they are excluded because a couple games have issues with them or some nonsense... meh

Comment

Finally the true Wine is released. Now I'm waiting for Sarnex Wine PPA to be updated for the best Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        Really they should apply CUSTOM workaround for specific titles instead of excluding all the majorly beneficial patches in the staging branch. I hear default Wine 3.3 is a slow messy crawl without the staging patches, but they are excluded because a couple games have issues with them or some nonsense... meh

Really there are a lot of games now that run faster in Wine 3.3 mainline than they ever did with 2.21 staging.

Of course these changes turn a lot of the custom hacks to the wined3dinto fatal alterations.

Majority of the patches in staging have been doubled sides as they make a set of applications work but then make another set of applications miss behave badly like consuming all of the system ram.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          You need to compile 32-bit wine anyway (even when there is wow) so it is not easy and installing source and dependencies takes time. They said that after this release they will make distribution packages but first they need access to wine build servers and after that it takes some time. Maybe after a week or two they have Debian packages. Wine-staging 2.21 works fine with many games.

They have had access to the build server since the 24 of feb this year. Lets just say they are having some troubles making a quality release of staging. They have already got rid of 50+ patches. Yes its unlikely staging will accepting any new patches any time soon. Most cycles are going to be uphill battle with the existing pile for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
            Building wine on 64bit is easy nowadays? Last time I've tried to compile it was a lot of work. I hope for a Ubuntu ppa soon.
            Very easy. It's building WoW64 Wine that's hard.

Comment

Tell wine-staging developers to publish those packages, they have no resources to test with every game and system. Wine-staging 2.21 packages should remain as backup if something is broken with 3.3 version.
              One the current staging maintainers are not idiots. They had access after 3.2 version of wine to the build system. Yet they are having problems still of finding patches that are in the 1000+ staging patches that are superseded by mainline code that is faster and applying superseded patch causes unstable.

So really debianxfce should they publish a version of staging that they know crashes even with limited testing on applications that use to work. Yes having to dig though 1000+ patches to find the all the patches causing highly unstable is a painful process.

The prior maintainers of staging quit because they worked out how much of a nightmare they had to deal with. Bit rot has caught up with staging. Some of the patches sitting in stage had been there for 4+ years without any proper rework. Lot of the patches people don't in fact understand what the alteration is in fact doing.

Its like the bug here https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42592#c57 I was doing support I had people reporting to me that the staging patch was causing complete system hard lockups if you attempted to apply it 2.22 or latter. Reason for the hard lock-up was that a feature that was missing from wine had been implemented now playing with particular settings directly was fatal. it also turns out one of the settings they thought they were changing was a no operation before 2.22 wine and came functional with 2.22.

So how many more patches in staging are doing alterations to stuff that is not connect to anything but will be implemented some point in future. Basically the staging patches are filled with land mine patches.

Comment

I have a Fedora Copr up with the latest Wine + Staging commits from master branches as of about 12 hours ago for anyone interested: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...taging-master/

Comment

And that nightmare is always right vanilla wine developers that can not even make Origin and Uplay (I read that the Uplay client works with wine 3.3) clients to work. Also a nightmare is to use different wine versions for each game (playonlinux). Then there is people like Espionage724 that make distribution packages for testing when vanilla wine developer is hanging in the discussion forums.
                  What wine developer. I am not a Wine Developer I don't have single patch in wine. I am a support person. This is the problem I have told you I am not developer of wine.

Vanilla wine developers are just hobbyist that have no clue of pro software development process. People use vanilla wine because they do not know that wine-staging exists and is better.
                  Really they are professionals and if you don't do paper work professionals correctly you should not expect them to-do anything.

There is no request for patches to be applied to make Uplay or Origin work to main developers. There is no request for the patches in staging that help those programs to be reviewed for mainline.

Also a nightmare is to use different wine versions for each game (playonlinux). << That is also the recommendation form staging developers due to application conflict.

Still with all this complaining you have not done a formal request for wine developers to-do anything for you.

Comment

oiaohm, please don't feed the troll. He knows that he's shit-talking himself but it just amuses him. Over and over again.

I do appreciate the work of all wine developers, may it be vanilla or staging!

Comment

For those wanting to use Vulkan apps and DXVK together with the latest staging patches, I've made an AUR package with the staging patches applies to wine-vulkan:

Comment

Working...
                      X