KDiff3 Project Revived For Showing File/Folder Differences, Now Part Of KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grigi View Post
    Weird, I have had a QT4 free system for half a year now, and I didn't have to wait on Kdiff3 (which is an awesome diff/merging tool, possibly the best I have used)
    Have you tried Scooter Software's Beyond Compare? I find that amazing. It costs money and isn't open source, but I love it still.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
      Weird, I have had a QT4 free system for half a year now, and I didn't have to wait on Kdiff3 (which is an awesome diff/merging tool, possibly the best I have used)
      Meld is pretty nice, I believe I tried quite a few out including kdiff3 when I was looking for diff tools back in 2016. Meld worked the best for me, it's GTK though. Can't recall exact issues I had with kdiff3, might have just been the UI/UX or some minor feature that Meld did better/right. I do remember quite a few diff programs couldn't ignore certain things and flagged them as differences(usually whitespace related, which Meld even tripped up over with once).

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

kdiff3 is a 3-way merget tool. It's a bit more difficult to understand but once you got it it's much, MUCH better than Meld.
        Could have sworn Meld supports 3-way merge...

Yep, it does:

Git 3-way merge with meld. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

I'm sure I tried out kdiff3 back in 2016 with various other ones when I was looking for a merge tool. Came down to p4v(perforce) and Meld, ended up sticking with Meld. Was too long ago to recall what issue I had with kdiff3, it just wasn't suitable for the diffing I needed for some reason I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Could have sworn Meld supports 3-way merge...

Yep, it does:

https://lukas.zapletalovi.com/2012/0...with-meld.html
          Git 3-way merge with meld. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

I'm sure I tried out kdiff3 back in 2016 with various other ones when I was looking for a merge tool. Came down to p4v(perforce) and Meld, ended up sticking with Meld. Was too long ago to recall what issue I had with kdiff3, it just wasn't suitable for the diffing I needed for some reason I guess.
          Merge is not a real three way merge tool, despite what the authors claim: https://lukas.zapletalovi.com/2012/0...-and-meld.html
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'm typically using gvimdiff, it's amazing. It can also use different diff algorithms, i.e. you can install algos as plugins, and dynamically switch between them.

Comment

Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
              KDE already has Kompare, which is essentially identical to meld. What's the difference between Kompare and KDiff, and how did both end up existing at the same time?
              I think kdiff3 allows inline editing while kompare doesn't. But dolphin's kompare integration is handy

Comment

Kdiff3 on the other hand doesn't handle patches (kompare -), so I tend to keep both around usually.

Comment

Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
                  KDE already has Kompare, which is essentially identical to meld. What's the difference between Kompare and KDiff, and how did both end up existing at the same time?
                  The main reason I use KDiff is for line wrap. It's HUGE when you have lines the size of a paragraph, which you will if you don't static wrap and use something like LaTeX for document creation.

Comment

I wish one day we will have Open Source software comparable to Beyond Compare which is the reference for file comparison application.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
                      I wish one day we will have Open Source software comparable to Beyond Compare which is the reference for file comparison application.
                      It's the first time I hear of that "reference". What does it do that existing apps don't?

Comment

Working...
                      X