Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falkon 3.0 Released As The Successor To The QupZilla Browser

Phoronix: Falkon 3.0 Released As The Successor To The QupZilla Browser

Falkon 3.0 has been released today as the first version since its rebranding from QupZilla as an open-source, Qt-powered web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank goodness for the rebranding. That was the worst name ever. Clunky, referencing another browser (it didn't use Firefox/Mozilla tech, so why?) and just ew. "P then Z" is the worst thing to try and roll off the tongue without having to take a breath first.

Falkon is at least simpler, if not better than Qupzilla.

Comment

I also came here to applaud the new name.

As if they had learnt from a mistake, this time, they spelled it *exactly* like it's pronounced. With K and everything, I especially liked that one.

Comment

What are the features of Falkon that make it stand out from "the other browsers"? (I missed that part also in the article when QupZilla was announced.)

Comment

It's got native wayland support!

Well, you have to start it with -platform wayland, as any typical Qt5 program.
          Last edited by andreano; 27 February 2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I'm excited to try it out, I always found Qupzilla to be the best non-firefox/chromium browser.

Comment

Feels super slick trying it out just now. Can't use it as a daily driver because I depend on Stylish / color inversion addons on so many websites to make them white on black, but I can definitely see it becoming default on Kubuntu or Neon and me having no problems recommending its footprint is so tiny compared to Chrome / FF.

Integrating perfectly with Qt (since it is Qt based) is just a nice cherry on top.

Comment

Windows and macOS support is not yet finished, it will be available later, since im no lomnger on Linux at the moment, i'll have to wait for Windows Builds

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                  It's got native wayland support!

Well, you have to start it with -platform wayland, as any typical Qt5 program.
                  If you log into a wayland session just set the environment variable to make wayland the default.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                    What are the features of Falkon that make it stand out from "the other browsers"?
                    I use it on my old netbook as my default browser. It stands out because it's the only browser that works nicely even with limited memory/CPU. It also fits perfectly with razor-qt

Comment

Working...
                    X