Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.13 Should Be Starting Up Even Faster

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.13 Should Be Starting Up Even Faster

One of the nice elements of KDE Plasma 5.12 is that it starts up faster, particularly when running on Wayland, but with Plasma 5.13 it's looking like it will be an even faster experience getting to the Plasma desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Plasma Wayland is already in a good shape, but these improvements make the user experience so much better. Plasma startup always felt really slow under X11.

Comment

I usually just read and I don't comment, but I need to say this. KDE plasma is awesome and it's getting better and better!!!!!

Being a long time MATE user (and xfce at lower end machines) I felt the need to find something new to use. So, here's a little story:

I tried Ubuntu 17.10 with Gnome and I hated it. I forced myself to use it and I understood that Gnome is in terrible state these days. Extensions like dash-to-panel and dash-to-dock cause huge memory leaks (the bug reports that I read suggest that it has something to do with window previews) and gnome shell reaches 500 MB of RAM and 10% CPU consumption after 2-3 hours of usage which makes it mandatory to run alt+F2 and hit r in order to restart the shell every now and then. Most other extensions are buggy (even the ubuntu-dock and ubuntu-appindicator) and cause high cpu usage (even clipboard indicator....). So, my conclusion is if you want to run Gnome then do it with 0 extensions!! Of course the workflow this way is terrible in my opinion and I won't even try Gnome again until gnome 4.

So, I thought to give KDE another try after hearing so many good words (last version I tried was plasma 5.9). I did a Kubuntu 18.04 daily installation (with proposed repo enabled because the standard repos are currently in bad shape). I am super impressed!!! Never have been happier with a linux desktop since I first discovered xfce in 2013!! Available features are just incredible! Performance is good and stable! I will certainly try Solus 4 KDE when it's released and probably switch to it, but one thing's for sure. I am a dedicated KDE user from now on!

Comment

I would be using plasma wayland right now, but its an annoying experience when you want to play some game and it lock the cursor so you have to keep esc 3 secs to unlock it, and then on another menu of the game you need the cursor on the original state and etc.
        Last edited by edoantonioco; 25 February 2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

IMHO they should port things from QML to C++ as much as possible.

Comment

I hope they'll keep it. And NOT make KDE/KF/whatever 6 and throw everything over once K5 runs well, finally. KDE 3 was good, KDE 4 came, nothing was good (but distributor's fault to ship developer releases to end users); KDE 4 was matured and nice, then they dropped it entirely in favour of K5, but K5 sucked and it took more than a year (KDE 4 all the time entirely unsupported, no fixes, no backports, no nothing) until some important programs were really ported and reached end users. One would still need the upstream-dead Qt4, kdelibs4 and so on.

I hope it will be different this time!
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I really want to like KDE, but I just don't. I love seeing it get better though, unlike others if I don't like a DE I don't feel the need to bash it and evangelise another, I simply use the one that I like and works for me. It's great to see KDE getting improvements like this, a second improvement in startup time is huge IMO, they're doing great work. More choice is always welcomed and I may give KDE another go when they get Wayland more feature complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexerex View Post
                IMHO they should port things from QML to C++ as much as possible.
                Ok, but why?

Comment

Actually the slow start of Plasma 5 was one of the few flaws, I do not care much, I do not care to wait 2 seconds more, but if there are improvements better, since some users is a problem.
                  In general, however, I find Plasma 5 excellent, I was a user of Unity and his death convinced me to try this DE and I was impressed. I've never been a fan of Kde, Kde 3 and 4 did not like me, gave a feeling of something plastic, but Plasma 5 is really great!

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Ok, but why?
                    Because of speed. It's a disease of our time that we have faster computers, but systems are not, because programs are slower due to slower scripting languages.

Comment

Working...
                    X