KDE Amarok Music Player Receives Revived Port To Qt5 / KF5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post

Yes, the Linux Kernel API is very stable and that is because Linus rules with an iron fist and makes sure developers adhere to this very simple rule.

Unfortunately the Linux desktop is a developers nightmare with constant API/ABI breakage. And being "mostly" compatible is not good enough. If it was that simple all the QT4 application should have been running on QT5 when they got released.

Talking of Windows, I have a 20 year old application that still runs on Windows 10.
    Then you're in luck because many of my older applications (even from the XP era) simply refuse to run.

Comment

Talking of Windows, I have a 20 year old application that still runs on Windows 10.
      Lucky you. I have some software much newer than that and they don't work. Not saying it don't happens on Linux distros tough.

Comment

Yes, the Linux Kernel API is very stable and that is because Linus rules with an iron fist and makes sure developers adhere to this very simple rule.

Unfortunately the Linux desktop is a developers nightmare with constant API/ABI breakage. And being "mostly" compatible is not good enough. If it was that simple all the QT4 application should have been running on QT5 when they got released.

You still taking about external libs - they breaking ABI/API on Windows too. It's not Linux only. As I said before even Microsoft sometimes broke API and thats why You have to install multiple versions of .Net Framework. Why You can't develop application with all libs inside just like Windows? Then You don't care about API/ABI break, because You have own copy of libs. Same way applications working on Windows. So why You can't copy this on Linux? This is purpose of solutions like Appimage, Snap or Flatpak. And I said this - Qt5 is source compatible with Qt4 with little differences. Amarok needs to be ported because KDE changed structure of frameworks - not because source code is not compatible. They need to rewrite code from KDE Libs to KDE Frameworks.

Well, I had some Win7 apps which can't work on Windows 10, or work with bugs. And Linux can run soft like this too. It's no problem if You have dependencies too - on Windows they are provided by application, on Linux You can provide they with application too.

Comment

Which strangely a bad thing! having to hold onto all that legacy and compatibility is a drain on development.

I am hoping that our future with flatpak, snap, appimage etc will stop the need to maintain so much compatibility! "Oh, it appears you need an older X/Y/Z to run this, *downloadst* and runs perfectly"

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

And you think there isn't an equivalent application on linux that still runs? There are applications that don't run on windows 10 from 20 years ago too.
            20 years, yes. On Linux, there's applications that don't run on it from 5 years ago.

Although this is understandable. People forget that Microsoft has so much money, it's not even funny. They can support their old APIs almost indefinitely. Gtk and Qt are not developed by multi-billion mega corps. You can't expect them to have the resources to support old Gtk and Qt versions to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
              I wonder why the KDE desktop environment projects wastes so many person-years re-implementing stuff that already exists, just to apply the "K"-branding.
              Most of the stuff people complain about KDE "re-implementing" was on KDE first.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                I wonder why the KDE desktop environment projects wastes so many person-years re-implementing stuff that already exists, just to apply the "K"-branding.
                If I ever go crazy and decide to make my own DE, I'd want to rewrite everything too, except maybe a browser and a video player. Simply because I'm not okay with the quality of most options we have on Linux. Firefox and VLC are exceptions to the rule, I think.

Like, seriously, there's not a single music player on Linux that I like. The new KDE player Elisa is sort of promising but still has a very long way to go.

Comment

The stupidity of breaking API/ABI every few years is mind boggling. It is no wonder that the total number of applications available over the past 10 years for the Linux desktop has not increased. And with this constant churn it is very unlikely that commercial developers will ever port their applications to the Linux desktop. In other words Linux desktop will remain largely irrelevant to mainstream users.
                  By every few years, you mean every 8 years?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    20 years, yes. On Linux, there's applications that don't run on it from 5 years ago.

Although this is understandable. People forget that Microsoft has so much money, it's not even funny. They can support their old APIs almost indefinitely. Gtk and Qt are not developed by multi-billion mega corps. You can't expect them to have the resources to support old Gtk and Qt versions to this day.
                    They run for me. You just need the old libraries, or use static linking. Note on Windows there are few or any shared libraries except the system ones, so every game and application ship their own copies. A Qt-using Windows application always has its own Qt DLL, or is statically linked. If you did the same with Linux, they would also be immune to system updates.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

They run for me. You just need the old libraries, or use static linking. Note on Windows there are few or any shared libraries except the system ones, so every game and application ship their own copies. A Qt-using Windows application always has its own Qt DLL, or is statically linked. If you did the same with Linux, they would also be immune to system updates.
                      This is the correct answer. On Windows old applications run because they bundle their dependencies, on Linux old applications don't run because they don't, and are relying upon a unified set of libraries managed by a package manager. However this is the problem that flatpak (and its alternatives) sets out to solve.

Comment

Working...
                      X