GNOME 3.28 Beta Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

I tested myself. The memory leaks and the absurd Ram usage are in all reviews from Ubuntu, Fedora and Arch linux. You can always see it! Having more than 2 gb of Ram afer boot without nothing running using Fedora with Gnome 3.26 Ubuntu 17.10 and Manjaro Gnome it's not a coincidence is a reality. Reporting bugs to Gnome devs is the same of do nothing is better to report to arch devs or ubuntu since they simply won't care about nothing. This new Gnome without icons in nautilus is the proof of that, they simply won't care a s*** about ppl. I really like to see ppl using gnome in a virtual machine and need to put at least 8 gb to run simply tasks.
    According to my own testing, you're full of shit:

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

I tested myself. The memory leaks and the absurd Ram usage are in all reviews from Ubuntu, Fedora and Arch linux. You can always see it! Having more than 2 gb of Ram afer boot without nothing running using Fedora with Gnome 3.26 Ubuntu 17.10 and Manjaro Gnome it's not a coincidence is a reality. Reporting bugs to Gnome devs is the same of do nothing is better to report to arch devs or ubuntu since they simply won't care about nothing. This new Gnome without icons in nautilus is the proof of that, they simply won't care a s*** about ppl. I really like to see ppl using gnome in a virtual machine and need to put at least 8 gb to run simply tasks.

If you would’ve read the reasons for Nautilus dropping desktop handling, you would understand. Stop grumbling if you don’t have the slightest clue of what you’re writing about.

And yes, everybody has this memory issue, and I even regularly run out of my 16 GB RAM. That actually IS something you can complain about not being fixed, annoys me too.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

According to my own testing, you're full of shit:
        http://tesla.duckdns.org/images/gnome_cold_boot.png

3.26, baby.

Comment

Michael
          In pouring through the change-log, ...
          It's not pouring a beer, you mean poring: "to read or study with steady attention or application."
          And "In poring" is the wrong preposition, use "After" or omit it.

Cheers.

Comment

Does the gnome-extension-tool generate files with ES6 classes yet?
            Does gnome-shell/mutter do any animations on Wayland for window placement yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post

If you would’ve read the reasons for Nautilus dropping desktop handling, you would understand. Stop grumbling if you don’t have the slightest clue of what you’re writing about.

And yes, everybody has this memory issue, and I even regularly run out of my 16 GB RAM. That actually IS something you can complain about not being fixed, annoys me too.
              You actually run out of memory and the kernel kills processes? Probably not.

Most people really have no clue how memory is used. If you have 16GB of free RAM that would be 16GB _wasted_. RAM is used for caching of apps, files, etc. RAM that is used for caching is available to allocate if need be.

Comment

No, not killing, but sometimes swapping – otherwise it reuses RAM as you mentioned. The thing is, that the free-memory-process is so slow, that my whole desktop gets slowed down significantly. In fact just now I have 11/15.5 GiB wired – and I just used Firefox since three hours and have three other regular applications open, that can’t be intended (Geary, LibreOffice, Lollypop). And I rather like applications to need half a second more for starting, than my whole desktop being slowed down.

Comment

I hope a few keyboard shortcuts and menus were randomly changed again.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                    No, not killing, but sometimes swapping – otherwise it reuses RAM as you mentioned. The thing is, that the free-memory-process is so slow, that my whole desktop gets slowed down significantly. In fact just now I have 11/15.5 GiB wired – and I just used Firefox since three hours and have three other regular applications open, that can’t be intended (Geary, LibreOffice, Lollypop). And I rather like applications to need half a second more for starting, than my whole desktop being slowed down.
                    The kernel swaps out memory that isn't being used. You can reduce swappiness, so this isn't a GNOME issue.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

The kernel swaps out memory that isn't being used. You can reduce swappiness, so this isn't a GNOME issue.
                      Of course, but with Gnome not eating my memory like shit, I won’t have swapping at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X