GNOME Shell Gets macOS-Like Ability To Close Apps From The Alt-Tab Switcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Huh? Using Plasma 5.12 here but I don't see a red close button anywhere on the miniatures in the Alt-Tab switcher. I do see them on miniatures of the Present Windows feature, but that' not what the article is about.
    after hovering the mouse pointer in the up left corner

Comment

Good to know Gnome Shell is starting to add stuff that has been available in Ubuntu's Unity for years. Maybe by the time Ubuntu drops Gnome Shell for an even newer shiny it will have achieved feature parity.

Comment

This confirms my theory that Gnome is a bad copy of macOS. Instead evolving themselves properly, they just are Apple Inc. whores.

Thanks a lot! Gnome is a great contribution to Free Software

Comment

Gnome gaining features?! I guess they have to occasionally add a feature in order to remove it later, otherwise there'd be nothing left.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            In KDE, a similar function is after hovering the mouse pointer in the up left corner, you can close any of the shown windows by clicking on the red close button on their respective miniatures.
            it is not similar function. gnome always allowed to click on close button from overview(where you get by hovering in the up left corner), this function is from alt-tab list

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              This confirms my theory that Gnome is a bad copy of macOS. Instead evolving themselves properly, they just are
              just implementing 8 year old enhancement request from their bugzilla? this confirms that you are just repeating your dogma

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                just implementing 8 year old enhancement request from their bugzilla? this confirms that you are just repeating your dogma
                Well, they are simply laggy at implementing new stuff than removing them

Dogma? What's that? I hate *all* DEs for now...

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                  Good to know Gnome Shell is starting to add stuff that has been available in Ubuntu's Unity for years. Maybe by the time Ubuntu drops Gnome Shell for an even newer shiny it will have achieved feature parity.
                  Which a catch. The code source for Unity requires patches version of libraries specifically made for Ubuntu under a clause Canonical solely own the changes.

Comment

Not hard to see why this wasn't a priority, of course... given that it already takes just a fraction of a second to Alt-tab to the target application and press Ctrl-Q to quit, I don't see much being gained by being able to press-and-hold Alt-tab and press Alt-Q to quit. Presumably it's demanded mostly by people accustomed to MacOS, rather than through any arguments for efficiency?

Comment

Weirdly enough I never knew about that macOS feature and I've been using the OS for 7 years. Thanks, Michael, for making me aware of it it's quite handy.

Comment

Working...
                      X