Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC 3.0 Should Be Out By The End Of The Week

Phoronix: VLC 3.0 Should Be Out By The End Of The Week

The long sought after VLC 3.0 multimedia player release will be here anytime now...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VLC is definitely an awesome player.
    Too bad that Linux Mint developers decided not to include it by default, but they've also dropped KDE, so what can I expect from them.

Comment

I used VLC for years, but their slow pace of releases, and overly busy UI/featureset made me switch to gnome-mpv.
      Overall for basic video watching I don't need the thousands of features in VLC. Just a small optimized app with a simple UI.

Comment

I used VLC a lot before but then i started to use smplayer instead.
        Now that i use vlc it feels heavy on the system and slow, even FF feels laggy on vlc.
        Is the vlc 3.0 going to be much lighter and less laggy?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          VLC is definitely an awesome player.
          Too bad that Linux Mint developers decided not to include it by default, but they've also dropped KDE, so what can I expect from them.
          Whining about default software is one the most pointless exercises one can make... No distro will ever be able to apease all users on that regard! If they blocked the media player, i'd understand and agree, but they don't!... You're free to remove the default app, install another, install nothing use or not use... and they won't care nor will they keep pushing it with every update like M$...

If default saoftwre is worst thing anyone has to say about Mint, that means they're doing their job well, IMO!!!

About KDE: yeah, it's a real shame. But KDE was never a first class citizen in Mint. Therefore there always have been better KDE distros other than Mint. It has always has been this way: either Mint is more important and i'd end up using the Cinnamon version. Or KDE was more important, and i'd jump to another distro.
          So, what's the bid deal?... Really...

Comment

VLC alongside MPV are my favorite players.

VLC strongest pro for me: icecast radio integration.

MPV strongest pro for me: easy to use and configure for watching videos.

Comment

VLC is the only one I've tried that works on my hardware half as well as I'd like. The rest just don't seem to work well in one way or another, making them useless. I got MPV working with SMPlayer, but SMPlayer can't use the seek function, so it's broken. MPlayer just crashes. VLC works fine for 1080P, but it's too far behind in hardware acceleration to be of use for my 4K content. Once the next version of FFMPEG comes out, VLC should be in top shape for current Intel/Nvidia users.

Comment

The term "new user interface" makes me shudder. Theres nothing wrong with the current user interface! VLC is one of the last players that still has a sane user interface.

Comment

We really had too long for this release to happen. I compiled since a long time already vlc from git as of the Wayland support and because I could get rid of Qt4. But now I think MPV is the better alternative, they offer Wayland support and they are activly working on Vulkan as well.

Comment

Hallelujah!

Comment

Working...
                    X