No announcement yet.

MATE 1.20 Released With HiDPI Abilities, Global Menu Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently tried Gnome and partially tried out plasma. Haven't done so in a long time. If you have an Nvidia card you're still pretty much screwed for Gnome. also it's more difficult to have numerous weather locations, but that's not new at least it looks good or something. Plasma doesn't have thumb-icons by default on the desktop. In short I love Mate cos it's fairly stable. If it hits Arch I'll get to try out marco instead of openbox compton combo. I simply don't get why people go for unfinished technologies. If it freezes that's even ok, but when you have know unsolved problems that's into eternal development, that's simply not ok. I must admit I'm on a desktop pc most of the time, but then again why would you have a forced change in paradigm for no reason. If I had to abandon MATE I'd opt for gnome. But it's far to early to even consider making the choice. Wayland is still being developed and Nvidia is changing in time...

Comment

I will see ubuntu mate 18.04 with this, maybe is a good choice since gnome shell is a piece of garbage

Comment

I so wish I could use MATE, it's almost perfect.

But one thing that makes MATE, GNOME, Cinnamon and Budgie a no-go for me is one simple issue with the file manager - the ability to have list view and be able to right click in the free space to be able to paste into that directory.

It's been an open bug on GNOME for an age:

I currently use XFCE because of this one issue and whilst XFCE is great, it's not very active these days. I could use one of the other file managers - but as is the case with most GTK desktops, the file manager is responsible for the actual desktop too.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
          In a corporate environment, and when the alternative is Gnome3, Mate is definitely the better choice.
          Corporate environment already uses Gnome 3 as Gnome Classic, an extended Gnome Shell reproducting the legacy Gnome 2.

Comment

Originally posted by dcrdev View Post
            I so wish I could use MATE, it's almost perfect.

But one thing that makes MATE, GNOME, Cinnamon and Budgie a no-go for me is one simple issue with the file manager - the ability to have list view and be able to right click in the free space to be able to paste into that directory.

It's been an open bug on GNOME for an age:

I currently use XFCE because of this one issue and whilst XFCE is great, it's not very active these days. I could use one of the other file managers - but as is the case with most GTK desktops, the file manager is responsible for the actual desktop too.
            MATE is modular, so you can switch out Caja for whatever you want to manage the desktop and file management. In your case, you would install Thunar and xfdesktop4 , and then open dconf-editor and go to org->mate->desktop->session->required-components and replace "caja" with a blank string for "filemanager." Fiinally open mate-control-center, go to "startup applications" and set xfdesktop4 to start with your session. Preumably a Thunar window will open for anything clicked from the desktop. You might need to play with this a bit but this is exactly how you would swap out Caja for say, Nemo and Nemo-Desktop.

Comment

Working...
            X