No announcement yet.

KMyMoney 5.0 Released, Ported To KDE Frameworks 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or do what the makers of Skrooge did with the K. Clever, invokes the famous miser of money in Dicken's Christmas Carol and still got the K of KDE in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

It's the stupid and childish branding that we can see in most of Linux DEs, like Linux wasn't user unfriendly enough.
      No wonder Linux on desktop has 1% user share and I can't really recommend it to any friend when a simple "file manager" has 10 different names in 10 distributions.

Because Windows Explorer and Finder are somehow better names... Protip: All names suck, none of them make things user friendly or not as long as they are recognizable as words.

Comment

It's the stupid and childish branding that we can see in most of Linux DEs, like Linux wasn't user unfriendly enough.
        No wonder Linux on desktop has 1% user share and I can't really recommend it to any friend when a simple "file manager" has 10 different names in 10 distributions.
        I guess you won't recommend Android and its ten zillion different user interfaces (and names) either, but at least there you can't claim it's the reason it has like 80% share of mobile, and like 60% of internet usage share.

OMG and Apple? they place an "i" in front of all their stuff!!!! HOW USER UNFRIENDLY!!!!

Comment

Someone (don't remember who, or where) once said that Linux will be ready for the desktop the day someone develops a graphical package manager that is not called "grpm". Hear hear!

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
            Michael, have you tried Skrooge?

Skrooge seems nice... Compared to KMyMoney i don't know which is better... Opinions?
            I tried Skrooge as well, but what was missing for my usage was AqBanking and HBCI interface. Without this it was pretty useless to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Someone (don't remember who, or where) once said that Linux will be ready for the desktop the day someone develops a graphical package manager that is not called "grpm". Hear hear!
              Discover on KDE Neon?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Well, at least I saw in their start menu they have somehing like:
                Web Browser
                Firefox
                File Manager
                Dolphin
                So people can see first the generic name (what the tool is supposed to do) and then the name its developers gave it (which doesn't matter too much).
                That's pretty well thought in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  Same here. I don't download nor use and will purge when I find them ANY program using KDE 4/Qt4 framework and/or libraries.

Curious though. How does KMyMoney stack up against the other big Qt/KDE based financial program Skrooge, which went KDE5/Qt5 a while back? I heard Skrooge can recognize and track cryptocurrencies. What about KMyMoney?
                  Seems like it is not fully ported, at least on Arch Linux the new KMyMoney tries to pull in a phonon-qt4-* backend.

Update: It might be a packaging issue, if I compile the git version from AUR then there is not such a dependency.
                  Last edited by R41N3R; 08 February 2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X