Qt Creator 4.6 Beta Rolls Out With C++17 Features, Navigation Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Creator 4.6 Beta Rolls Out With C++17 Features, Navigation Improvements

Phoronix: Qt Creator 4.6 Beta Rolls Out With C++17 Features, Navigation Improvements

The Qt Company this morning announced the beta availability of the Qt Creator 4.6 integrated development environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

very good IDE for projects of all sizes

Comment

Can not campare with CLion. I was usign QTCreator for many years and avoided the switch to CLion because reading the comments of others. Till to the point were I was too frustrated with QT. After the first try, and getting used the first hours..... I could not believe what an idiot I was not trying it out long time ago. Many are using open source, just to support them, but they dont realize, that by supporting crap, they will not improve, and basically you wasted your life. Example: I tried to do some stuff with gimp and e-ink... and it took me so much time... with photoshop and illustrator i would have saved many many hours.... this is basically lost life time! If adobe would bring their products to linux i would easily be happy to pay double the subscription the windows users are paying. My advice, dont waste your life, it is short enough. Stop supporting projects are not improving in years. These are mostly obsolete programmers, that write bad code in c (instead of modern c++) [or they use bad c++ design of the 90s], and after you wrote a shit-c-foundational-code you will have a hard time to improve well and fast.

cipri

Comment

Best IDE I've ever used. I completely switched over to it, even for C and non-Qt projects.

I see people saying CLion is just as good or even better. Does it support iOS and Android development? Because right now I use Creator for those too, and I can deploy and debug seamlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by cipri View Post
          Can not campare with CLion. I was usign QTCreator for many years and avoided the switch to CLion because reading the comments of others. Till to the point were I was too frustrated with QT. After the first try, and getting used the first hours..... I could not believe what an idiot I was not trying it out long time ago. Many are using open source, just to support them, but they dont realize, that by supporting crap, they will not improve, and basically you wasted your life. Example: I tried to do some stuff with gimp and e-ink... and it took me so much time... with photoshop and illustrator i would have saved many many hours.... this is basically lost life time! If adobe would bring their products to linux i would easily be happy to pay double the subscription the windows users are paying. My advice, dont waste your life, it is short enough. Stop supporting projects are not improving in years. These are mostly obsolete programmers, that write bad code in c (instead of modern c++) [or they use bad c++ design of the 90s], and after you wrote a shit-c-foundational-code you will have a hard time to improve well and fast.

cipri
          Yes, CLion beats the hell out of other IDEs for usability, but it can`t yet compete with eclipse when you aim for embedded, or want tracing embedded (lttng + Tracecompass). I am torn on whether to cash in now, as I wont be able to leave eclipse for good. Also they seem to be fixated on CMake, which is nice and I prefer it for new projects, hooking in custom buildsystems is not nearly as flexible as eclipse.
          Also their Markdown plugin is a level above everything else.

QT-Creator sits in the middle of these, their primary advantage would be to be non-java-based.

Comment

Disclaimer: longtime Qt Creator user, never heard of CLion before.

Seems like CLion has its own C++ language model, and so it will always be playing catch-up with the standard, whereas Creator gets this for free by using clang.

Other that, yes, CLion looks slightly more polished in various areas, but not by anywhere near a significant enough amount to provide any reason to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by cipri View Post
              Many are using open source, just to support them, but they dont realize, that by supporting crap, they will not improve, and basically you wasted your life.
              Lol, rather blanket statement there. Do you use desktop linux, or did you pay(indirectly most likely via hardware purchase) Windows or macOS?

I don't disagree that some proprietary programs that require payment for license or subscription can be better. Especially in design industry, I have experience with quite a few that cannot compete either due to features/functionality or usability. Blender I can argue is pretty good but it's not as intuitive or good of a UX as the professional commercial ones. Things like photogrammetry, the open-source products are miles behind, they'd need significantly huge funding and time to get near parity. In these cases I agree that you're at a disadvantage is this is related to how you make your bread and butter :P

Plenty of open-source projects that may not be as good as proprietary ones but I prefer them for whatever reason. Even paid proprietary is sometimes better than free proprietary, like e-mail services. I remember having a hotmail account which I didn't login for about a year, when I did it had been completely deleted/emptied, I thought I was hacked but it was policy by microsoft if an account was considered neglected...

Comment

I express the hope that they also fixed the many issues and crashes with the Clang model rendering it utterly unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  Lol, rather blanket statement there. Do you use desktop linux, or did you pay(indirectly most likely via hardware purchase) Windows or macOS?

I don't disagree that some proprietary programs that require payment for license or subscription can be better. Especially in design industry, I have experience with quite a few that cannot compete either due to features/functionality or usability. Blender I can argue is pretty good but it's not as intuitive or good of a UX as the professional commercial ones. Things like photogrammetry, the open-source products are miles behind, they'd need significantly huge funding and time to get near parity. In these cases I agree that you're at a disadvantage is this is related to how you make your bread and butter :P

Plenty of open-source projects that may not be as good as proprietary ones but I prefer them for whatever reason. Even paid proprietary is sometimes better than free proprietary, like e-mail services. I remember having a hotmail account which I didn't login for about a year, when I did it had been completely deleted/emptied, I thought I was hacked but it was policy by microsoft if an account was considered neglected...
                  Ya well at this point why even bother with Linux in the first place. The only reason I was going to use qtcreator is it seemed like the best option for unreal engine 4. Mesa sucks Nvidia sucks with wayland (Nvidia soon to be destroyed by foss fanatics.). I got windows insider preview , free visual studio community and drivers that work. Windows gets the latest qtcreator before Linux anyhow lfmao. Unreal engine 4 marketplace has qt plugin there too for windows that works . Linux maintainer for qtcreator source code access plugin has abandoned it for codelite (with broken hotreload facepalm.). Clion plugin by dotbunny for Ue4 hotreload not on Linux lol. and a pita to setup too. Install sidefx houdini on fedora problems find solution use system python libraries. It now launches,but mesa sucks artifacts. Alway's fixing Linux. Nothing ever just works . Godawfull ux. Download substance painter trial for fedora Linux cries about tiff being to new so downgrade because it's built for ancient redhat. Maybe I should try Centos Kde4 that has wacom control panel... Mesa probably uses opengl 3 with centos 7.
                  Garbage.

Comment

Great bit of software just keeps getting better! Awesome work from Eike and team.

Comment

Working...
                    X