Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.12 LTS Released With Much Better Wayland Support, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just tried Wayland with it, but it didn't work so well for me:

1- No problem starting a game, but on every 'cut' I got my pointer locked and had to hold Esc for 3 seconds or switch Virtual Desktops, which is quite annoying.

2- No Virtual Desktop pager is ok, but no ability to only have some windows in a desktop, which kind of nullifies the whole point of having separate desktops...

3- It probably is just a different setting, but using the mouse wheel in the tab bar in chromium would move by 2 tabs instead of by 1 tab like in X11. If the other 2 were not a problem I would have looked into that.

Comment

Wayland is still a non-starter for me. Unplugging or turning off the monitor crashes the session (and this will crash resume if the monitor comes up slowly - mine does). Screen rotation simply doesn't work and locks the session hard.

Other than those two absolute show stoppers, it does seem to be working better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
        Wayland is still a non-starter for me. Unplugging or turning off the monitor crashes the session (and this will crash resume if the monitor comes up slowly - mine does). Screen rotation simply doesn't work and locks the session hard.

Other than those two absolute show stoppers, it does seem to be working better.
        I have the same issue with Linux 4.15 and DC, but I think this is a AMD bug as it works fine with Intel. On my machine with a AMD GPU I had to turn off the sleep mode for the display in the energy settings.

Comment

who else did NOT notice the log-in speed-up?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            You need qt5-virtualkeyboard (note: SDDM isn't the lockscreen).
            Thanks for your answer!
            But I'm not sure what is qt5-virtualkeyboard
            Searching the Internet I found this:

Is that it, is it something that I can install or it's for developers only?
            I don't see any instructions on how to install it in KDE Plasma
            I thought that KDE Plasma comes by default with some kind of virtual (on-screen) keyboard like Cinnamon and Windows have as part of their assistive technologies.
            As for SDDM, I don't know what that is. I was talking about the blue screen which appears when you logout / lock KDE plasma session.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Thanks for your answer!
              But I'm not sure what is qt5-virtualkeyboard
              Searching the Internet I found this:

Is that it, is it something that I can install or it's for developers only?
              I don't see any instructions on how to install it in KDE Plasma
              I thought that KDE Plasma comes by default with some kind of virtual (on-screen) keyboard like Cinnamon and Windows have as part of their assistive technologies.
              As for SDDM, I don't know what that is. I was talking about the blue screen which appears when you logout / lock KDE plasma session.
              In Arch Linux you just type "pacman -S qt5-virtualkeyboard" to install the virtual keyboard (it should be similar in other distributions, but maybe the name is slightly different). The KDE lock screen is using it then automatically. The same applies for SDDM, which is the login manager. But the lock screen and the login manager are two separate things, they just look similar as of the theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Really? If that's a 2, how bad would it have to be to get a 1?
                A gave it an extra point for having correct spelling and grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Do Nvidia binary drivers work with Plasma5 Wayland?
                  Nope! Kde neon user edition geforce 660 it freezes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

A gave it an extra point for having correct spelling and grammar.
                    Is that a plus or a minus when it comes to quality of trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

On Arch Linux Plasma 5.12 works perfectly with Wayland and Intel. I had issues with my Linux 4.16-git and AMD DC, I couldn't login to Plasma-Wayland, SDDM just freezes, but as soon as I used the stable release of Linux 4.15 it now works as well! The latest mesa-git somestimes creates as well some issues with Plasma-Wayland, so using the stable release of Mesa is recommended.
                      I'm using Linux 4.9 LTS with the default Intel driver (it's called modesetting, right?) and the latest stable Mesa. Yet, only GNOME Wayland works, but not Plasma Wayland.

Edit: and Sway on Wayland also works fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X