Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.12 LTS Released With Much Better Wayland Support, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I haven't actually tried it with Wayland yet, but I don't see much of a point until that's the only option. Xorg support is more complete and it works just fine, although I know it has its flaws.
    So, you're never going to use it? Because Xorg will always be an option for the foreseeable future, and depending how you look at it, Xorg will always be "more complete" since it has features Wayland will never come with (that doesn't mean there won't be implementations for them).

I don't care if that's the case - there are valid reasons to want/need X. I'm just saying that your criteria may never be met.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

Weak trolling. I give it a 2/10.
      Oh yeah? How about this: KDE has way better Wayland support than Gnome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Oh yeah? How about this: KDE has way better Wayland support than Gnome!!!
        It doesn't. It doesn't work at all for me because they don't have the manpower to support nvidia. Gnome: full of manpower. KDE: poor man's solution, they even lack developers for proper development.

Ha! Take that!

(KDE user here, btw.)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          It doesn't. It doesn't work at all for me because they don't have the manpower to support nvidia. Gnome: full of manpower. KDE: poor man's solution, they even lack developers for proper development.

Ha! Take that!

(KDE user here, btw.)
          You didn't understand my post. Read carefully, including the previous posts.

Comment

KDE Plasma is amazing,but I have a few questions...
            1. Where is the virtual keyboard on lock screen that they've announced on previous releases?
            Did they forgot to add it and just braged about it?
            I have a key missing on my laptop's keyboard and it's impossible for me to enter a password that have this key's character.

2. Where is the display of the creation date of files (like in Dolphin file properties), assuming that someone is using a Kernel >= 4.11 that has the statx function. is it available or not in this release?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              KDE Plasma is amazing,but I have a few questions...
              1. Where is the virtual keyboard on lock screen that they've announced on previous releases?
              Did they forgot to add it and just braged about it?
              I have a key missing on my laptop's keyboard and it's impossible for me to enter a password that have this key's character.
              You need qt5-virtualkeyboard (note: SDDM isn't the lockscreen).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                So, you're never going to use it? Because Xorg will always be an option for the foreseeable future, and depending how you look at it, Xorg will always be "more complete" since it has features Wayland will never come with (that doesn't mean there won't be implementations for them).

I don't care if that's the case - there are valid reasons to want/need X. I'm just saying that your criteria may never be met.
                That may well end up being the case, but it's not that I'm biased. It's just that xorg works for me and I'm pleased with it.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  Between 5.9 and 5.11 we went from an unbootable Wayland session to like 90% of the way there with a ton of missing polish.

Once this lands in Arch I look forward to seeing just how much of that last 10% was made up.
                  Pretty much my experience. Except that it won't boot anymore for me, even on X, since yesterday. Anyway, I am enjoying the experience provided by LxQt + kwin at the moment

Comment

I don't get what's different about the Kickoff settings in 5.12? 'Cause I'm running Plasma 5.11 on Solus and I can already rearrange the tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

Ha! Take that!

(KDE user here, btw.)
                      In fact, KDE doesn't even support Intel on Wayland 'cause I can't launch a KDE Wayland session at all whereas GNOME Shell works fine on Wayland with this same Intel card.

Comment

Working...
                      X