Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.12 LTS Released With Much Better Wayland Support, Other Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

    On Arch Linux Plasma 5.12 works perfectly with Wayland and Intel. I had issues with my Linux 4.16-git and AMD DC, I couldn't login to Plasma-Wayland, SDDM just freezes, but as soon as I used the stable release of Linux 4.15 it now works as well! The latest mesa-git somestimes creates as well some issues with Plasma-Wayland, so using the stable release of Mesa is recommended.
    I'm using Linux 4.9 LTS with the default Intel driver (it's called modesetting, right?) and the latest stable Mesa. Yet, only GNOME Wayland works, but not Plasma Wayland.

    Edit: and Sway on Wayland also works fine.

    Comment


    • #52
      Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Too bad memory usage optimization is just not there.

      I open Akregator with zero feeds - roughly 250MB of RAM gets lost. What?!

      The Plasma process (default configuration) eats up to 250MB of RAM as well with zero plasmoids on the desktop.

      In short, boot up an empty plasma session, lose up to 700MB of RAM. So much optimization.

      And some plasmoids crash all the time (like the weather applet). That's just not funny any longer.

      In contrast I'm still running KDE 3.5.10 with tons of additional utilities (like knetstats which has no alternative in KDE5) and over 60 feeds in Akregator and memory use is under 250MB.
      Again with this argument? I understand that RAM prices have been rather high for the last year or so but come on, even mobile phones nowadays have upwards of 4-6 GB.

      Comment


      • #53
        Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Too bad memory usage optimization is just not there.

        I open Akregator with zero feeds - roughly 250MB of RAM gets lost. What?!

        The Plasma process (default configuration) eats up to 250MB of RAM as well with zero plasmoids on the desktop.

        In short, boot up an empty plasma session, lose up to 700MB of RAM. So much optimization.

        And some plasmoids crash all the time (like the weather applet). That's just not funny any longer.

        In contrast I'm still running KDE 3.5.10 with tons of additional utilities (like knetstats which has no alternative in KDE5) and over 60 feeds in Akregator and memory use is under 250MB.
        Hi /glmg/ and go back to 4chan.

        Comment


        • #54
          Originally posted by msotirov View Post

          Again with this argument? I understand that RAM prices have been rather high for the last year or so but come on, even mobile phones nowadays have upwards of 4-6 GB.
          doesnt mean your desktop should eat it all up.

          Comment


          • #55
            Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

            doesnt mean your desktop should eat it all up.
            256MB is not even close to eating it all up. Just open -any- web browser to a blank white page and you'll see something many times bigger than your entire desktop environment.

            Comment


            • #56
              Originally posted by duby229 View Post

              256MB is not even close to eating it all up. Just open -any- web browser to a blank white page and you'll see something many times bigger than your entire desktop environment.
              i dont. my windows 10 uses less.

              Comment


              • #57
                Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

                i dont. my windows 10 uses less.
                BS, Windows 10 boots up to over 2gigs of RAM usage. Which is waaaay more than Plasma, by like 6 to 8 times more..... And even that isn't that bad really.

                Comment


                • #58
                  Originally posted by duby229 View Post

                  BS, Windows 10 boots up to over 2gigs of RAM usage. Which is waaaay more than Plasma, by like 6 to 8 times more..... And even that isn't that bad really.
                  i said desktop not entire windows.

                  Comment


                  • #59
                    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

                    i said desktop not entire windows.
                    Yeah, course, an Entire Windows 10 desktop environment booted completely vs an Entire Linux Plasma desktop environment booted completely. Overall RAM usage will be 6-8 times higher for Windows 10. Fact whether you like it or not.

                    Comment


                    • #60
                      Originally posted by duby229 View Post

                      Yeah, course, an Entire Windows 10 desktop environment booted completely vs an Entire Linux Plasma desktop environment booted completely. Overall RAM usage will be 6-8 times higher for Windows 10. Fact whether you like it or not.
                      Sure but i said desktop ram usage not the entire operating system. So whats your point? My windows 10 desktop uses very little ram.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X