Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.12 LTS Released With Much Better Wayland Support, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Too bad memory usage optimization is just not there.

I open Akregator with zero feeds - roughly 250MB of RAM gets lost. What?!
    Why aren't you using a Commodore 64? Or an Amiga, or Atari ST perhaps. Very small memory requirements there. It would be perfect for you.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

The Plasma process (default configuration) eats up to 250MB of RAM as well with zero plasmoids on the desktop.

In short, boot up an empty plasma session, lose up to 700MB of RAM. So much optimization.

And some plasmoids crash all the time (like the weather applet). That's just not funny any longer.

In contrast I'm still running KDE 3.5.10 with tons of additional utilities (like knetstats which has no alternative in KDE5) and over 60 feeds in Akregator and memory use is under 250MB.
    250MB!!!! Holy bloat, batman! Nobody needs more than 640KB of memory, and I'll never use anything that requires more than that. It's crazy how people think that 250MB of RAM is acceptable these days.

Oh, and get off my lawn.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Heyoka
    replied
    Originally posted by ngraham View Post
    I submitted a patch: https://phabricator.kde.org/D7423 but could use some technical assistance if anyone here is familiar with the systems in question.
    And you titled it wrong! no pudding for you!
    (I hate people who tell you how to format it instead of just reformatting it themselves and _then_ telling you nicely in a non-passive-aggressive way how to do it from now on)

Ubuntu 18 has apparently still got Qt 5.9, that's a bit sad (for me, for Kubuntu), when is 5.10 due to be the dependency? (since it has apparently been released)

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied

The Plasma process (default configuration) eats up to 250MB of RAM as well with zero plasmoids on the desktop.

In short, boot up an empty plasma session, lose up to 700MB of RAM. So much optimization.

And some plasmoids crash all the time (like the weather applet). That's just not funny any longer.

In contrast I'm still running KDE 3.5.10 with tons of additional utilities (like knetstats which has no alternative in KDE5) and over 60 feeds in Akregator and memory use is under 250MB.
    Last edited by birdie; 06 February 2018, 08:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

In fact, KDE doesn't even support Intel on Wayland 'cause I can't launch a KDE Wayland session at all whereas GNOME Shell works fine on Wayland with this same Intel card.
    Plasma wayland session works fine here on intel kably lake graphics (kde 5.11)

Leave a comment:

• callegar
    replied
    At least on Kubuntu Artful (as shipped via the KDE updates PPA), plasma 5.12 represents a significant regression on the standard Xorg session. The power buttons (power-off, sleep, wake up) don't work anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    KDe Plasma is going to be the best desktop environment and mobile environment as well.

Leave a comment:

• torturedutopian
    replied
    Upgraded in KDE Neon. A HUGE amount of done was done in polishing, recently, cf. Nate's blog : https://pointieststick.wordpress.com/
    Each week, a year's worth of bugfixes / improvements IMHO :-)
    Wayland session works well. There's one AZERTY keyboard related bug that made me switch back to X for the time being but it's very very promising in the short run.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Login speed is the same for me as before (instant), something must be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Arrived in the KDE repositories of openSUSE Leap! Fantastic ! Thanks to everyone who makes KDE possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X