• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• q2dg
    replied
    Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Your mockup?
    I explained my points of view in several comments in the main designer's blog when this new design appeared (I don't remember its URL, sorry). No answer

Leave a comment:

• Dea1993
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Typical response from Gnome fans: works good on my machine. How do you define "lightning fast"? Give us numbers that support your claim. Here is the numbers I have for you:

On a System76 hardware running System76's Pop OS. So here we are talking about a distro geared towards Gnome and geared towards the hardware I'm using (Oryx Pro, which is quad core i7 with GTX 980m 8G GDDR5, and 32G DDR4 ram): Running gnome-shell-perf-tool I get somewhere around 50fps, sometimes more and sometimes less. If I hold a window and keep moving it around I get CPU usage for gnome-shell process jumping up to 40%.

Installing KDE on the same hardware and same distro (same installation), so if anything it should be KDE that isn't configured well here, I get a solid 60fps using KDE's frame rate tool. The frame rate remains solid at 60fps even after opening over 15 windows. Desktop animations also seemed to keep its steady 60fps (with occasional drops here and there) even while having the following running: dual monitors + two way screen sharing using AnyDesk (sharing my screen and at the same time viewing a remote screen share) + Google Meet running HD video in Chrome (sending and receiving video) + slack audio call + Firefox running a dozen tabs, 3 of them are gmail clients + Visual Studio Code + few docker containers. KDE animations remained silk smooth at apparently 60fps even in this very heavy load, but that's what I expect from a machine as powerful as the Oryx Pro. Also, holding a window and moving it around with wobbly and transparency effects enabled pushes the kwin CPU usage up to a max of 20%, which is half of the CPU usage gnome-shell jumps to doing a similar operation with less visual effects.

Do you mid running gnome-shell-perf-tool and give us the numbers? Also, do you mind giving us your gnome-shell CPU usage during animations? If things do run smooth on your side as you claim then I guess gnome is not well optimized on all hardware.
    on my notebook with a simple A10 8700p APU with integrated GPU radeon r6, and 8GB of ram (and traditional HDD 5400rpm) i haven't problem with fedora 27 or debian testing.
    i've android studio opened, firefox with 10 taps open, telegram, task manager open to see CPU usage (total 3.4GB of ram used), and if i grab a nautilus window and starts to move quickly, the CPU usage is around 25% AVG (per core), sometimes one or two core increase to 30-40% and sometimes some cores decrease to 15%.

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied

That's one of the lamest troll attempts I've seen. Why even bother?
    I'm not here to entertain you.

But you still bothered to reply, so it wasn't as lame as you wish it were.

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Yeah, I wish that was the problem. But nobody has ever been able to make GNOME useful.
    That's one of the lamest troll attempts I've seen. Why even bother?

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    It's lightning fast on my integrated intel GPU. It's even pretty slick on my iMX6-based CuBox i4Pro. Maybe your box has been hacked and you're mining bitcoins for someone? Hehe.
    Yeah, I wish that was the problem. But nobody has ever been able to make GNOME useful.

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Typical response from Gnome fans: works good on my machine. How do you define "lightning fast"? Give us numbers that support your claim. Here is the numbers I have for you:

On a System76 hardware running System76's Pop OS. So here we are talking about a distro geared towards Gnome and geared towards the hardware I'm using (Oryx Pro, which is quad core i7 with GTX 980m 8G GDDR5, and 32G DDR4 ram): Running gnome-shell-perf-tool I get somewhere around 50fps, sometimes more and sometimes less. If I hold a window and keep moving it around I get CPU usage for gnome-shell process jumping up to 40%.

Installing KDE on the same hardware and same distro (same installation), so if anything it should be KDE that isn't configured well here, I get a solid 60fps using KDE's frame rate tool. The frame rate remains solid at 60fps even after opening over 15 windows. Desktop animations also seemed to keep its steady 60fps (with occasional drops here and there) even while having the following running: dual monitors + two way screen sharing using AnyDesk (sharing my screen and at the same time viewing a remote screen share) + Google Meet running HD video in Chrome (sending and receiving video) + slack audio call + Firefox running a dozen tabs, 3 of them are gmail clients + Visual Studio Code + few docker containers. KDE animations remained silk smooth at apparently 60fps even in this very heavy load, but that's what I expect from a machine as powerful as the Oryx Pro. Also, holding a window and moving it around with wobbly and transparency effects enabled pushes the kwin CPU usage up to a max of 20%, which is half of the CPU usage gnome-shell jumps to doing a similar operation with less visual effects.

Do you mid running gnome-shell-perf-tool and give us the numbers? Also, do you mind giving us your gnome-shell CPU usage during animations? If things do run smooth on your side as you claim then I guess gnome is not well optimized on all hardware.
    Typical response from a troll.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied

It's lightning fast on my integrated intel GPU. It's even pretty slick on my iMX6-based CuBox i4Pro. Maybe your box has been hacked and you're mining bitcoins for someone? Hehe.

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    Originally posted by angrypie View Post
    No addressing of their slow-ass window manager? Or do they expect everyone to own a GTX1080 just for Mutter?

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    Originally posted by q2dg View Post
    Please redo control center ux design. It sucks
    Your mockup?

Leave a comment:

• q2dg
    replied
    Please redo control center ux design. It sucks

Leave a comment:

Working...