X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reavertm
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    I would deliberately grow and obfuscate the spreadsheet to the point where even Excel won't open it. Perhaps that will get management's attention and clue them in that they're using the wrong tool for the job and instead need to hire a DBA.
    Don't underestimate desktop version of Excel. It can really take almost anything you throw at it.
    Finest minds at Microsoft were working on it. It's a pinnacle of Microsoft technology, appreciated by almost everyone, regardless the occupation
    Besides, it would only temporarily freeze the operation of one business line in certain huge, multinational company, workaround would be swiftly introduced

(I heard some move to JIRA is planned, eventually)
    Last edited by reavertm; 07 February 2018, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by reavertm View Post

Where I work, product backlog is kept in network shared, over 10MiB, feature-abused Excel file with over hundred or two foldable (groups) columns, macros, colors and lots of rows, obviously. Only standalone, desktop version of Microsoft Excel manages to open it. Anything else (which includes Libreoffice and online version of Excel, from Office365) either crash of just fail reading it. I keep remote VM with Windows for the sole purpose of accessing that file.

"People do".
    I would deliberately grow and obfuscate the spreadsheet to the point where even Excel won't open it. Perhaps that will get management's attention and clue them in that they're using the wrong tool for the job and instead need to hire a DBA.

Leave a comment:

• Royi
    replied
    I wish they used LaTeX syntax for the Math support.
    The current implementation is really bad.

Leave a comment:

• ua=42
    replied
    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Similar situation here. its awful
    It's probably not LibreOffice... its LibreOffice's file converter that's choking. I don't know which version of Excel you use, or how well Excel export features work, but if you Save As the ods format, Libreoffice might be able to read that monstrosity. (Last I heard though... Microsoft Office sucks with the open document format)

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by reavertm View Post

Where I work, product backlog is kept in network shared, over 10MiB, feature-abused Excel file with over hundred or two foldable (groups) columns, macros, colors and lots of rows, obviously. Only standalone, desktop version of Microsoft Excel manages to open it. Anything else (which includes Libreoffice and online version of Excel, from Office365) either crash of just fail reading it. I keep remote VM with Windows for the sole purpose of accessing that file.

"People do".
    Similar situation here. its awful

Leave a comment:

• reavertm
    replied

Perhaps, but its just true. But then again who the heck puts 100k rows in a spreadsheet.

"People do".
    Last edited by reavertm; 04 February 2018, 07:07 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by quikee View Post

now you're just being an ass
    Perhaps, but its just true. But then again who the heck puts 100k rows in a spreadsheet.

Leave a comment:

• quikee
    replied

opens fine with excel. Calc* is just a piece of trash that cant load shit.
    now you're just being an ass

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by quikee View Post

Never saw the document, so I guess there is nothing needed to be fix.
    opens fine with excel. Calc* is just a piece of trash that cant load shit.

Leave a comment:

• quikee
    replied

100k rows dozens of columns an lots of colors. (originally a ms office document) Wont open
    Never saw the document, so I guess there is nothing needed to be fix.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X