KDE Plasma Remains Committed To Supporting Icons On The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grok View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't know Gnome 3 supports desktop icons?
    Probably not since the devs have tried to hide that feature.

Well, I'm not really sure how much they were actually trying to hide it but it's at least not very visible since enabling it requires use of Gnome Tweak Tool (or dconf-editor, etc). Anyway I think it's better that this feature is moved out of Nautilus. An extension is probably a reasonable way to do it. I actually might prefer this KDE like box for desktop icons instead of having them all around the desktop. I hope the extension will allow that too.

I do wonder if they still create the Desktop directory by default since it's not used anymore. They could just create it on demand when desktop icons are enabled (when the extension is enabled) if it does not exist.

Comment

Makes sense since desktop icons don't with into the "meta" of Gnome 3's UI. Heck, there isn't even a feasible way to show desktop easily.

Comment

There it is ladies and gentlemen, Gnome on all its splendor. Similarly to Mozilla they are on a quest to lose all their users.

Comment

Just one more thing that shows the superior user experience of KDE. There's a reason it's called user experience and not developer experience, you know

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
            There it is ladies and gentlemen, Gnome on all its splendor. Similarly to Mozilla they are on a quest to lose all their users.
            I'm that weird guy who understands and likes Gnome's workflow. To me they are making all the right moves. Gnome needs more users that use it the way it was intended instead of using 15 extensions to turn it into a another XFCE. In a sense it's a good thing that people who don't like Gnome use another DEs - that's why they exist in the first place!

Comment

Blodoffer you will get tired soon. I will be waiting for you in the KDE camp.

Comment

well i made a happy transition to Cinnamon desktop. I do not care how old the mentioned code is and i still use icons, as all of my collegues which are on linux desktops. It is important to me because i have only 2 pcs with Windows in my company, everything else is on Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
                  Blodoffer you will get tired soon. I will be waiting for you in the KDE camp.
                  And I'm waiting for both of you in the i3 camp.

Comment

To me Linux has always sucked at desktop icon support compared to windows.
                    Mostly because it's an OS for devs and fringe users, and you hear all the time moronic stuff like "I never reboot my OS, I don't need defragmentation, etc".
                    When I moved to Linux I was greatly surprised I needed to know what compile is and why I'm supposed to compile, link, grep, edit, patch, whatever my apps. Which quickly explained why Linux never made it on the desktop, windows required you to install an antivirus, Linux to become a dev and assemble your software while jacking off to the GPL, hence almost everybody stayed with windows.

Comment

FYI, if you're like me and think desktop icons are completely useless, to remove desktop icons in Plasma I had to go into Configure Desktop -> Filter -> Set "Hide Files Matching" and "*".

I think the only reasons I'm not using Gnome are the OpenSUSE defaults for Plasma are nice enough and currently Plasma seems to handle dpi scaling with multiple different-sized displays better.

EDIT: If there are better ways to remove desktop icons in Plasma I'd love to know, it's so difficult to find the right configuration settings sometimes.
                      Last edited by fuzz; 24 January 2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X