No announcement yet.

LibreOffice Gets "KDE 5" Integration That's A GTK3/KDE5 Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't it have been easier to use the "portals" file chooser API? That way you get whatever the desktop prefers... GTK3 on Gnome to KDE on Plasma.

Comment

"KDE5" *cringe*

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        "KDE5" *cringe*
        Oh Gawd, no. Now we're gonna get a lecture from one of the kde devs again. "It's not kde5, guys. They're different parts now, geez!"

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
          It sucks that it requires the KDE framework I would appreciate a Qt5 version.
          The qt file picker is crap, you want the kde file picker. How could they get that without installing parts of the kde framework?

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
            The qt file picker is crap, you want the kde file picker. How could they get that without installing parts of the kde framework?
            Agreed. The bare Qt file-picker is basically a minor improvement on the Windows 9x file-picker.

Comment

Hmmm I recently opened a bug about this... Found out that the 6.0 beta release Gentoo ebuild didn't support Plasma 5 Integration... I was disappointed. :-(
              But I gathered it was coming soon... So this is great news!

The GTK3 file picker is **** - when compared to the native Plasma file picker.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Agreed. The bare Qt file-picker is basically a minor improvement on the Windows 9x file-picker.
                Us GTK users would kill for a Windows 9x file chooser

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

Us GTK users would kill for a Windows 9x file chooser
                  I wouldn't quite go that far, given how much I rely on the sidebar bookmarks, but I can agree that the GTK+ file picker is...

1. ...a major pain if you're the kind of person who keeps forgetting that you want to delete or rename something until you see it in a file picker.

2. Horrendously buggy when you're trying to type paths into the Ctrl+L location field... assuming it even listens when you hit Ctrl+L to ask for it.

3. Slower and heavier than alternatives when faced with a folder that requires a lot of disk seeking.

KDE 3.x's file picker was best in class, with support for application-specific bookmarks and none of the weird warts KDE 4 introduced, such as the inability to turn off automatic "adjust font size to fit entries to available width" in the face of varying sets of removable disks and application-specific bookmarks. (Whoever came up with that muscle-memory-killing idea deserves the same hell as the guy at Microsoft who invented Personalized Menus.)

Comment

Did something change in the forum software? It seems like two thirds of my comments start out unapproved these days.

Comment

shmerl those are two different approaches for KDE5. But both are sponsored by the City of Munich as they need KDE5 integration for their upcoming LiMux release. This gtk3-kde5 backend is only a quick hack to add the integration early on and add it in time for the release. Work on the second approach by jmux (Munich) and bubli (CIB) will be continued to offer a native Qt5 backend and a KDE5 integration based on it. An employee did a lightning talk at FOSDEM about their efforts.

Comment

Working...
                      X